What type of oil to use in 69GT?

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by CrashDummy, Mar 30, 2014.

1. CrashDummy

CrashDummy In First Gear

My Dad bought a 69 Ford Ranchero GT a year or so ago even though he doesn't do any of his own car work. I've been able to teach myself to do some basic work on my cars (oil, plugs, shocks, etc) and I told him that I would help him change the oil on his Ranchero. That way he doesn't have to pay a shop to do it, where they would use who knows what type of oil. What type of oil should I use in this vehicle? Does anyone know the weight and quantity of the oil that we'll need (It's a 351W 2-brl)? The motor is pretty much all original expect it has been converted to electronic ignition. Surprisingly, it looks like Advanced Auto still carries oil filters, air filters, plugs, etc for cars like this so that's good. I'll probably just grab a Motorcraft Filter. My research so far has provided three possible paths to take with Motor Oil type:
    1. Run a diesel motor oil (like Shell Rotella) because they have more zinc
    2. Run a normal oil and add a zinc addative.
    3. Run a special (and expensive) classic car oil (like Driven HR)

What do you guys recommend?

2. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Rotella isn't the answer anymore guys. I personaly witnessed the update sheet from Shell come into the local NAPA store and the update gave the numbers showing that Rotella now meets the low zinc and phosphate numbers required by the EPA GOONS. This was over two years ago. You are better off taking the hit up front for good oil like used by the high end dirt track racers. Longer oil life, much better lube ability, still has the good stuff in it that your cam and lifters need. Go far enough researching the Material Data Sheets for each brand oil and pick the one with the highest amounts of the forbidden fruit. I went with Schaeffer's synthetic oil and won't ever go back to that watered down name brand crap. Your engine will thank you.

3. Preal

Preal In Second Gear

With the stock style engine componenets, you should be fine with any off the shelf oil.

I have been using Mobile 1 5W40 Turbo dieseltruck syn in my 65 mustang and it is running great. I get around 40psi oil pressure at idle. Previously run was Royal purple 15w40 but only becuase it was free...

I am running some lucas 10w30 conventional in my ranchero right now and it is running fine as well. I've also ran mobil super 5000 10w30 and some frakenbrew I mixed up using 60wt valvoline racing and some 5w30 synthetic.

Both of my cars are 289's.

API SN oils in XX-40 wts can still have elevated levels of ZDDP. If the engine is stock, any off the shelf 10w40 High mileage oil should work out great.

Next change in the ranchero will more then likely be some ecopower 10w30 I have sitting on the shelf. (I need to start using up some of the 160 qts of oil I've got at the moment)

Bobistheoilguy is a great resource for oil info.

4. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

5. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

my oil pressure has been horrific in the 12 years Ive owned my car (460, c6) been using castrol edge 5w50 with a Lucas ZDDP additive chaser and it has been good all this time. So you can stretch the life of even a worn out engine.

6. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

I use the current formulation of Valvoline mineral in my classic engines - no issues so far. The Valvoline website has some information related to the cam/lifter question and the protection capabilities - some excerpts:

7. Preal

Preal In Second Gear

Exactly. Zddp is a high compression anti wear additive. It has nothing. to do with oil pressure. Oiling success is indicated by oil pressure as an indication of flow through the system to protect contact surfaces.

I personally wouldn't use anything greater then a 40 wt oil unless I had oil pressure issues.

Excluding engine break in, this whole zddp issue is overblown. Although important for radical flat tappet cams, oil and Its additives have come along way over the last decade.