Building a new exhaust, opinions on mufflers?

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Torkair, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Torkair

Torkair In Maximum Overdrive

I am about to start getting parts to build a 3" x pipe for my ranchero and am wondering what others here have used and what is good. I am running a 460 so getting the exhaust out is turning into a pretty high priority, especially with this Arizona heat.

2. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

I have a 347 stroker motor and I use Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers with it. I love the sound. Nice and mellow with a good growl when you put your foot down. Much less obnoxious than Flowmasters. I like the Flowmaster sound....on other people's cars :). They are a bit too much for me.

Laters,
    Jeff

3. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Those big tubes are going to radiate a lot of heat under your car.
    As to mufflers, how loud do you want it to be?

4. Torkair

I like a good deep rumble to the exhaust note, so pretty loud but not so loud that I draw unwanted attention. I am somewhat torn between dumping in front of the back wheels or right after them though.

5. Mike

Mike In Overdrive

Perhaps you might find something useful in this thread located here.

6. Torkair

Lots of interesting info there. My Ranchero started life with the exact same drive train as yours but when I finally got ahold of it the 4v Cleveland and the C6 were long gone and I had a blown 2v sitting in the bed, lol. At any rate the 460 already exploded one of the mufflers on the 2.25" system that was on the car when I got it (it literally blew apart at the seams in a parking lot, very embarrassing).

7. airford1

airford1 In Maximum Overdrive

X2 When Mine was on the street this is what I had with a cross over pipe. Good sound.

8. OleDutchD

OleDutchD In Second Gear

Been running a dual 3" exhaust w/ X-pipe since '05. Used Hooker AeroChambers and turned it out behind the rear tires. No resonance... not very subtle, but not obnoxious, either. Sounds strong.
    That said, there ARE days I wish it were more mellow. The highest capacity/flow and quietest turbos are the longer case versions. 22"- 27" or so. You have to look at the specs, too, as not all the 3" DynoMax's are full-size, throughout. Some have 2-1/2" internal tubes.

9. inenidok

inenidok In Overdrive

I used hooker headers and thrush super turbo dual no X pipe never could find a good place to install it with this c6

10. Mike

Mike In Overdrive

The Thrush mufflers I'm using are welded, so it's less likely the mufflers would come apart. Did you have a chance to listen to the MP3 file to get an idea of what the mufflers sound like?

11. Torkair

I ended up ordering a set of Walker/Dynomax SS ultra flo mufflers, she is NOT going to be quiet...

12. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

I also use the Dynomax Ultraflo fully welded SS muffflers, #17221. They are not quiet, but nowhere near obnoxious. I think you will be happy with your decision. I have over $2K in my stereo system (and I did all the work), but I rarely even turn the radio on due to the "sound" of the exhaust.
    Post your results once you get them installed.

13. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

14. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That's the big complaint of the 460/7.5L truck owners: the 2.25" is too small for even the stock system, causing ruptures and manifold cracking. My former co-workers' 90 F-250 got (I think) 3" installed on his and he's a very happy camper, but that may not be a dual system, since I haven't seen it. I'll have to ask him.