The '66 is home

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by Scott Zimmerman, Jun 8, 2014.

1. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

I'd have a question on if the timing chain was the original sandwich type or the newer double sprocket type chain... The original chains were notorious for "stretching" out fairly rapidly, and while you note the engine is running fine a loose chain can allow for more variation than a new one, especially if it is of the newer design.

Are you seriously contemplating the gasket seal replacement? I ask as spending your money once is the better choice. The cost to replace the timing chain should be largely taken up in the gasket replacement, assuming the mechanic prices it out fairly. One has to remove the front cover, the front oil seal and the front pan gasket along with the water pump gasket and spacer (if present) to do the timing chain. If one were to choose to replace the seals and "since you are there, replace the timing chain with the newer double sprocket type..." and the mechanic agrees to fold the cost in with labor of the gasket replacement it might be money well spent. Just a thought.

My gut feel is - "don't fix what isn't broken" but a little preventive maintenance if it leaks and is annoying or a problem then perhaps this is the time to correct those issues.

2. Scott Zimmerman

Scott Zimmerman In Second Gear

Just talked to the mechanic - he again stated how impressed he is with the engine. He went ahead and ordered the new timing chain - the original nylon was in there and he was shocked it hadn't started falling apart. Maybe sitting for 16 yrs had something to do with that.

3. Scott Zimmerman

Ok - another question. I may have located a set of Magnum 500 wheels (the ad says "factory super sport wheels") but they sure look like Magnums to me (or at least repro's). They are 14" and have a set of 245/60SR14 BF Goodrich Radial T/A's mounted on them. The photo isn't the best and the tires appear to have 1/2 their tread life left. The vehicle will be driven for the next few months and then parked for the winter so I'm not concerned about the tires right now. Seller wants $550 for them - wheels seem to be in good condition. Fair price?

My son likes the look. I contacted the seller but haven't heard back. I figure if he went new wheels and tires he'd be minimum $700 - $800. He'll need a new set of radials for the 2015 winter (next year) anyway so I'm looking at putting that purchase off for him for awhile.

4. Scott Zimmerman

Got the Ranchero back 30 minutes ago and my son is already washing it. All new seals/gaskets for everything, new master cylinder and new timing chain and the best part after steam cleaning the engine they painted it (granted spray paint but dang it looks good) except for the aircleaner that doesn't match now.

One question - the shop mentioned a bypass hose from the water pump to thermostat. Not sure I understand what that is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 72GTVA

Looks great! The darker Ford Blue is my preferred color :)

It looks to me like the bypass hose is there...

It is usually present to prevent cavitation and to keep the pump supplied with coolant to prevent dry operation.

6. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

@ Scott Z ... the bypass hose is that short L-shaped hose immediately next to where the upper radiator hose connects. Easy enough to fix if you have the formed piece. I keep a little jar of petroleum jelly in the garage to make hose connections slide together easily.

Engine bay is looking good!

7. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

Hey now that is looking good! On the tires that seems like a good deal if the rims are in good shape. If you or your son decide to change them later you can always resell them to the next person.

Laters,
    Jeff

8. Scott Zimmerman

Picked up some 14" wheels yesterday off C.L. for $75. New tires in a couple of days. My son really likes the look of them. There is some pretty good oxidation to the anodizing on the rims which he doesn't seem too concerned about. Looking for any suggestions and polishing/cleaning off that oxidation.

[​IMG]

Closer view of the wheels and oxidation:

[​IMG]

9. Scott Zimmerman

Just about there - wheels hopefully to go on in the next week or so. Needed spacers for the front and a different lug nut to grab the stud as the tire was too close to the upper control arm - as in less than 1/2". Not much wiggle room for bumps, turns etc.

Freshly rebuilt carb, points eliminator kit (starts great), new fuel filter and a new radiator and the car runs great.

Now, for the next question. It was a little chilly this morning and after the car got warm I turned on the heat which blows nice and hot. But, it also was blowing out a bunch of steam (didn't do this before the replacing the radiator) so the windows were fogging up badly and I had to keep wiping them off while driving. I'm hoping this problem gets a little better over time but am also not sure why it would be happening.

10. 72GTVA

Heater core with a pin-hole or several?

As far as polishing out the oxidation - some patient rubbing with a metal polish - a lot of folks are fond of "Mother's" products. I've used rubbing and polishing compound on heavy oxidation with good result and depending on the application have used a poly clear coat to seal against further oxidation. With bare metal and clear one can "mist" a very light coat of clear and let it dry before recoating for cover to avoid voids and runs.

11. Scott Zimmerman

Yeah, it looks to be the heater core. . . . . . one more thing.

My son is totally frustrated and is going to sell the car and get something more reliable. We tried to tell him, but... It's a fantastic rig, just a lot of work to get it back in order and he's struggled learning the manual transmission

12. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

Well that is a bummer. Seems like he wants to get rid of it just as it is all getting fixed up. Sorry to hear that but I hope he changes his mind. Knowing how to drive a manual transmission is a life skill I believe everyone should have.

Laters,
    Jeff

13. Preal

Preal In Second Gear

Has anyone told you the belt is on upside down?

14. Scott Zimmerman

I hadn't even noticed that - mechanic installed it. Doh!

15. 72GTVA

Uh... not so fast, maybe not! Looks like a Dayco "top cog" belt and that is the way they look installed correctly... may want to check it to confirm.

ForistellFord likes this.
  16. Scott Zimmerman

Yep, I went out and looked. It's installed correctly.

17. Zack M.

Zack M. In Second Gear

Well I thought I'd hop on this thread and let the forum know I'm this ranchero's new owner. I drove the car from Ellensburg to Portland over highway 12, through some beautiful scenery and windy mountain passes. It is a pretty demanding drive, but the ranchero made it faultlessly, save for some minor brake fade on a long long downhill run. It even got above 20 mpg! Here is a shot on the way home with the chase car, my '69 Porsche 912:
    [​IMG]
    What attracted me to the car was it's originality and condition. I will be keeping it bone stock - I already pulled the aftermarket stereo system from the late 90's and hooked the antenna back into the stock AM radio that still works a treat! Next summer I will probably start on the bodywork and paint it back to the original Wimbledon White.

eqshadimar and HuevosRanchero like this.
  18. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

Great to see that it went to a good home. Make sure to keep us up to date when you start working on it!

Laters,
    Jeff

19. tertab28

tertab28 In Fourth Gear

Good looking ride!
    Falcon base with a v-8. Haul -ass!

mo.herbfarm likes this.
  20. mo.herbfarm

mo.herbfarm In Maximum Overdrive

Gosh! I forgot about that! My folks bought a '67 Falc. new, V-8, good-sized for a "compact", wasn't the last year '68? mo.