Another Scum Bites the Dust

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by mo.herbfarm, May 3, 2015.

1. mo.herbfarm

mo.herbfarm In Maximum Overdrive

Hooray!

Police: Man shoots, kills would-be carjacker outside store
    OREM, Utah (AP) — A shopper with a concealed weapons permit shot and killed a man who was trying to carjack a woman Saturday outside a Utah grocery store, officers said.
    The 31-year-old male shooter was in Macey's parking lot in Orem, 45 miles south of Salt Lake City, when he heard a woman's screams as she was being pulled from her SUV by the suspect, investigators said.
    The man told police he went to assist the woman, and the 27-year-old male suspect lunged at him in an attempt to grab his gun.
    The man fired one round at the suspect, hitting him in the chest. The suspect later died at a hospital.
    http://news.yahoo.com/police-man-shoots-kills-carjacker-outside-store-004403757.html

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

The taxpayer relief shot.
    That is why I favor gun control. Accurate shot placement.
    guns.jpg

Bicklebok, Hillbilly and mo.herbfarm like this.
  3. jwarden

jwarden In Third Gear

Hadn't heard this yet, just a stone's throw from where I live. Most people here don't have a problem with people carrying guns. In high school, most days, years ago, almost all the trucks in the parking lot would have shot guns stored in the back window. Alot of hunting. People are brought up respecting guns and shown how to use them. I took a hunter's safety course when I was 11. I am not a hunter now, don't have the time, plus you freeze your butt off. I don't have a gun either, but thinking of getting one to keep the "wild critters" of the human kind at bay.

mo.herbfarm likes this.
  4. mo.herbfarm

Conversely, I grew up in a suburb adjacent to Chicago, where guns, handguns especially, were highly frowned upon by the local law-makers (read that, politicians). Despite the law, thousands of Chicago residents certainly had guns in their homes. My Dad grew up on various farms in Illinois and Wisconsin, where hunting was the norm. He always had several handguns, which I was permitted to handle and observe very early on, perhaps age 7 or 8. I fired his Colt-made .45 ACP the first time at 10, one round placed in the chamber, this being done at my grandparents' little farm west of Chicago. Only one shot, would he allow. I remember the recoil as being considerable for age 10, but I had (still have) big hands, no problem. Progress. Today there stands a mega-shopping mall called Yorktown Mall, where their farm stood. mo.

5. jwarden

jwarden In Third Gear

I really hadn't thought about acquiring a gun until lately. My oldest brother, Al, served in Nam. He was in the 7th Calvary and saw and was in a quite a bit of action. He never really talked about it for years. I think he definitely had post traumatic stress syndrome. He hit the bottle pretty good for a few years after the war. Married a good woman, who helped sort out a few demons, he dried out through the Raleigh Hills Hospital program. They used aversion therapy. Basically they would have a person drink their favorite alcoholic beverage, then they would give them basically ipecac and force them to throw it up. It worked for him, he has been dry 20+ years. A year or so ago , I dropped by his house and he showed me his new gun, he
    had bought a gun to protect himself and his family. I guess I thought he would have had enough of guns and killing. But with the way things are going, you got to be able to defend yourself and your family. Another thing I didn't realize, guys that served in NAM got back stateside in a day for so from being in the killing fields per se. One day they are getting shot at
    and the next day they are landing in an airport in the states. For 12 months or so, they carried a rifle where ever they went, it was like an appendage, they didn't go anywhere without it. To the meal line, to the crapper, etc. that gun was almost glued to their arm. Then one day they take the gun away from you, ship you stateside. Must be a shock to the system, major culture change. I am sure the all veterans can relate to this somewhat. Luckily, I missed to "oppurtunity" to serve, Nixon
    pulled the troops out just as I was signing up for the draft.

mo.herbfarm likes this.
  6. mo.herbfarm

Amazing, and most interesting story! Thank you for sharing that. I have heard of ipecac before, but would have to do a search, I think it's some kind of herb? Not important. You did not serve military? Everything you described, I can understand the implications of. Go kill, come back, we take weapon, go home, lead a normal life again. Maybe some did, or could. Maybe lots could not. I don't really know much about this circumstance, except, when I turned 26, height of the Viet Nam madness, I got the notice to appear. They drafted up to 26, I had been occupationally deferred for a number of years, up till then. Turned out, I "inherited" two kids, my wife's brother & sister, as a random act of violence just about that time (murder-suicide), and the Local Draft Board declared me ineligible. My father-in-law may have saved my life! Story for another time.

I have a zillion gun stories I could tell; what else can an old fart do with his time? Always remember, no matter what shit the politicians are pronouncing, guns are tools, like shovels, knives, clubs, no different. Use of your tools can produce wonderful effects in your life. Tools produce food to eat, whether shoveled from the ground, or shot above it. So far as self-defense is concerned, no weapon surpasses a good, well-familiar handgun, for bullets always work faster and more effectively than knives, clubs, fists, etc. mo.

7. jwarden

jwarden In Third Gear

The old adage "guns don't kill people, people kill people". Having repeated that, I do have a deep seated respect for proper gun usage. Like any tool, a gun needs to be used appropriately and with respect. A year or so ago, a young guy ~25 years old was out
    target shooting with his father-in-law, not sure exactly what happened but somehow the father-in-law shot the guy accidently in the back of the head. Killed him instantly. Of course some thought that maybe it was intentional, but I am pretty sure it was truly a tragic accident. I am a firm believer that people need to been trained or shown proper gun safety. I don't believe in restricting gun ownership, but any individual that wants to acquire a gun needs to understand the responsibility that goes along with gun ownership. A gun is not a toy, should always be treated as if it is loaded. One reason I don't hunt anymore is because too many guys are out in the woods shooting at anything that moves. I have to admit I did some pretty dumb ass things as a young hunter, but never did anything that put others in harm. Mostly shot up trees and terrorized poor little bunnies.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  8. Sophie948

Sophie948 In Overdrive

Tactical nuclear weapons don't kill people. People kill people.

jwarden and TestDummy like this.
  9. jwarden

jwarden In Third Gear

I think Slim Pickens took out a few people with a nuclear warhead in Dr. Strangelove. Sad thing is some misdirected person, decides to take someone else's life. Pretty sad when a marine who survives 2 tours of duty overseas in a hostile war zone, comes home to be shot down by some punk with a chip on his shoulder, state side. Gun control does NOT fix this. Maybe bullet proof glass at all recruiting stations will be implemented in the future, but then they will just wait until the vets leave the premises and then they will gun them down. I feel we as a free society, will have to accept this type of "loss". and in the meantime try to figure out how we can identify those who may be prone to try this type of terrorist activity.

mo.herbfarm likes this.
  10. As Is '66

As Is '66 2 Wheeled Mod Staff Member

My birthday gift to myself was my GA Weapons License...
    I`d rather have it and not need it, than need it, and not have it...

Got two does on my birthday too... :D

11. RANCHEROROB

RANCHEROROB In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

12. RANCHEROROB

RANCHEROROB In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

13. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

No worries about recidivism that way.