What in the World is IT?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by mo.herbfarm, Nov 30, 2015.

1. mo.herbfarm

mo.herbfarm In Maximum Overdrive

Spotted in Edgewater Hotel parking garage today in Laughlin, NV. At a distance from the side, T-Bird, closer, tail lights 1950 Ford, almost. Wider, lower, trunk lid unusual shape, rear bumper looks "homemade". I started thinking: Canadian, Australian? Nah! Whaddaya think? mo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Steve 74gtQ

Steve 74gtQ In Overdrive

Back end looks real good rest looks like standard cookie cutter style everyone used in the 90's. Must be a one off custom.
    Wonder if it had a nose job to.

3. Bryan59EC

Bryan59EC In Overdrive

There is a kit for those----looks to me the owner has only used the back half of the kit.
    The front end is still out there in someone's garage.

4. MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

This was an alien abducted 90s Thunderbird which had a 50s.Mercury tail grafted on to it. Think Mars Attacks.

5. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Myself, I don't think it really is a Ford.
    If it is, someone went to a lot of effort to hide the fact.

6. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

7. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Shoebox Tbird? Whodathunk.

8. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Ford has made some goofy cars.
    At least they are not at fault for that one.

9. mo.herbfarm

So, you guys are sayin' this sort of thing is not that uncommon? No idea why a guy would do this, if it were me, I'd build the whole damned thing from scratch.
    Anyhow, there are quite a goodly number of '90s era T-Birds running around here daily seen, which might have been just driven off the salesroom floor. Mostly old farts driving them, likely original owners.
    I owned 2 Mustang 5.0L HOs, '89 and 90, similar cars to the Birds, and was very pleased with them. The '89 I stuck on a Whipplecharger and blasted around in it awhile, started to throw a bit of smoke, sold it to a kid in college who begged Daddy to wire him the dough.

Finish the story: Bought a '93 Cobra which the kid had crunched the R.F. fender into the cliff driving it up the ApacheTrail Tortilla Flats gravel road outside Phoenix. Car was stored in their back yard, kid lived with his folks, somehow burned to death. They bought it new. It was 2 years old, I picked it up for $7,000. Kid's mother convinced the old man to sell it. Had 22,000 miles on it. My wife said NO! Unless, after fixing it up, SHE got to use it daily driver to work. Done! It was the first Fox body I worked with, all my previous Mustangs being '65, '66. That danged Cobra ran like a miracle, getting 25mph+ on interstates!
    Gave it to my nephew, in the Marine C orps; it's up on blocks today somewhere in Topeka. mo.

10. Bryan59EC

Bryan59EC In Overdrive

Bought a relatively new 94 'Bird, v6---
    When we moved to Texas a few years later, went shopping for another car.
    Wife asked what I was going after-----"I will come back home with another T-Bird or Lincoln LSC"
    The Lincoln I REALLY LIKED---had a white interior---not gonna happen with me, so I came home with a 97 'Bird with a v8
    Both of those cars had waaaaay over 200k on them when I let them go----the 94 had been totaled twice (spouse and then daughter) and spouse literally drove the wheels of the 97.
    (left front ball joint let loose on the freeway @ 70mph), it was also later damaged in an fight for the same space.

Personal opinion-------LAST of the affordable full size, rear drive cars----it was a crime that Ford killed it

11. jwarden

jwarden In Third Gear

Mo
    I like the color somewhat, similar to the color of my Dodge Ram. Obviously ~89 Fort T-Bird, with converted rearend, most likely after a rear end collision (why the custom bumper). Ya think they took the rear end off the old Ford body and molded it to fit? We bought a 89 T-BIRD for our kids to tool around in when they got their driver licenses, was a beater ~2006, but they where able to get to school and back for a year or so, not a bad car, although the 2door a pain to crawl in and out of to get in the back seat, and not a lot of leg room.

mo.herbfarm likes this.
  12. davis

davis In Maximum Overdrive

one word, "Lame".
    i used to see ads towards back of car mags with those. awful.

13. Kev250R

Kev250R In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I came across one of those about a year ago at a cheap used car lot here in So.Cal. It was the same color as the one Mo found, except the one I saw had the front end kit installed as well. It caught my eye because it was unique but I quickly moved-on to look (and buy) something else. That car sat on that same lot for at least another month. If I recall they wanted close to 10K for it

Kevin

14. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Maximum Overdrive

how about this? Ha! [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  15. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Saw one with a kit to make it look like a 58/59 DeSoto. Fins were bigger than the rest of it. Forget what the owner said the base car was. He sold the kits and I couldn't get away without taking a bunch of promo literature (promptly canned). It was butt-ugly. Thank my stars I didn't wake up next to it.

16. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

If it's the same car I think it is, the base car, it was a box Panther (Grand Marq?).

17. mo.herbfarm

Predecessor to the Chevy Avalanche? One of the most hideous Chevy offerings, IMO. mo.