1971 GT

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by Ken Bourgault, Nov 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Ken Bourgault

Ken Bourgault In First Gear

Hi folks,

It'll be a couple of months before I can get to working on it, as I'm moving but I just made a deal on a '71 GT. I've owned a few Fords in my time but this is my first car-pickup :) It's not currently running but everything is there.
    • Just under 45k original miles.
    • Original transmission has been rebuilt and is currently out of vehicle.
    • Going to need a new carburetor - looking to keep it street driver worthy for now and recommendations are welcome.
    • Going to need a line on replacement fuel tank options as she's been sitting for 10+ years, although up on rollers and inside a dry garage.
    I will post to the build thread once I get things going. I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.

-Ken

here's a little peek.

Attached Files:

2. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Sweet, Stop teasing us though and Disrobe that thing...

3. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Let me know if you need some parts. I've got some, and I have a good source in Ohio. He actually just picked one up and is parting it out right now.

4. Ken Bourgault

20151027_143337.jpg 20151027_143455.jpg 20151027_143636.jpg 20151027_143745.jpg 20151027_143854.jpg
    That's all I had on my phone worth looking at. New rear end and most of the chrome accents are there.

210eddiep likes this.
  5. Ken Bourgault

Thanks TD, I'll PM you.

TestDummy likes this.
  6. Garbageman

Garbageman In Overdrive

Welcome. Jealous of the ribbon tach in your dash, though.

Stephen likes this.
  7. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

very cool ride and welcome aboard!

8. Stephen

Stephen In First Gear

Sweet ride! Welcome!

9. Ken Bourgault

Finally rolled the Ranchero out of the garage which its been sitting quietly since 1994. I jacked it up off the dollies and aired up the tires and somehow they held air! The transmission was rebuilt several years back and this thing will be towed to the shop tomorrow morning. I'm having the fuel tank drop and reconditioned/sealed, then new fluids, belts and brake checks then roll it over to the transmission shop for installation. I won't be wrapping new tires on the existing wheels because in my mind they just don't fit the period; so I'm ordering a set of US Mags Slotted Mags and will wrap 'em in BFGs white letters out. The tonneau cover needs a spring rebuild and is a good fit so I'm going to hang onto it. With ~45k original miles on the motor I'm hopeful to have a runner within a few weeks. We shall see.

Also, I scored a pristine set of blue and yellow plates from '73, here's to hoping DMV won't bother being too finicky with the YOM disparity as this is a '71. They still have the '73 registration sticker on them and are clear in the DMV system per AAA's computer check. After all, here in California DMV has reissued the classic black and yellow plates and people are putting them on their brand new cars all over the place so why not a period correct blue and yellow for me? Crossing my fingers, eyes and toes, because DMV is a crap-shoot no matter where you live.

Here's more pics as requested.

20160319_145110[1].jpg 20160319_145120[1].jpg 20160319_145130[1].jpg 20160319_145144[5].jpg

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  10. Garbageman

Garbageman In Overdrive

That is a great looking 71.

11. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

WOW!!! Very nice Ranchero.

12. L.C.Gray

L.C.Gray In Second Gear

Can't speak for Caley-I-Forney, but in Texas vintage plates must match year of vehicle on title. I can't see vehicle rule happy Caley-I-Forney being any laxer on it than Texas.

13. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

Florida same YOM 60.00 Then only 15.00 a year registration
    VERY NICE 71

14. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Nice truck. Lots of potential.

15. parts4me

parts4me In Maximum Overdrive

Very clean ride! Can't wait to finally get mine back out for the summer.

16. T16592

T16592 In Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Nice one :cool:
    I have never seen that in dash tach before , I assume that it is original. I will have to start looking for one and see if I can make it work in a my 1965..... somehow ;)

17. Ken Bourgault

A little update on the '71 as I'm gettin' a little giggity from earlier today as I fired it up for the first time since I've owned it and it sounded great. If all goes well tomorrow, I'll get the updates photographed and posted. So far: installed rebuilt transmission with new torque converter, new Holley 650, new Edelbrock manifold, new Edelbrock valve covers (she's clean inside BTW), new US Indy slotted mags with new BFGs. Tomorrow brakes and steering inspection and we should be good to go. I didn't get my blue and yellow California plates stickered, the lady at the DMV was too well informed on the YOM sticker; but guided me to buying one online and it'll be here Monday so farewell to those crappy white plates. Kind of funny, they won't bend the rules but they'll teach you how to circumvent them.

My only teaser is the tires/wheels package pic:

20160506_074327[1].jpg 20160503_165925[2].jpg

It won't be pristine but it's mine. Wish me luck. :D

18. 71 Whitesale

71 Whitesale In Fourth Gear

Sweet sweet 71!!!

19. Ken Bourgault

4 more hours until I pick it up and drive it for the first time...giggity.

20. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Post pictures or it didn't happen. :)

TestDummy likes this.