This Summer's Trip: Lincoln Highway, Blog

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by 1114vontagen, Feb 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 1114vontagen

1114vontagen In Third Gear

Starting the first week in June My wife and I will be driving east from San Francisco to New York in our 1959 Ranchero. Then, because we need to get home, we will be returning west on the Yellowstone Trail. These are 2 of the earliest transcontinental roads. (The Lincoln is the first.) I will be keeping a blog, There are already some posts up on preparations for the trip. The most recent entry is on the work to the Ranchero to prepare it for the 6,000 mile round trip. Here is the link: afordonthelincoln.blogspot.com
    Enjoy, or criticize as you deem appropriate.
    Bill von Tagen
    1114vontagen

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I'll have to check that out. Gonna 'rough it' or just 'Yuppie camping?'

3. 1114vontagen

You'll have to read the blog entries and let me know what you think. Personally I would not call camping in a 50 year old tent trailer "yuppie camping".
    Bill

pmrphil likes this.
  4. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

5. Brian Loula

Brian Loula In Fourth Gear

That's awesome! The Lincoln Hwy is about 20 min. So. of me Give me a shout when you come through. Cruising Rt 66, and the Lincoln are on my bucketlist. I remember doing a family trip to Cali. in the family car (1957 Ford Fairlane 500) back in 1962.

6. handy_andy_cv64

So you are gonna 'rough it.' Cool. That's the way it should be. No TV, just radio, LP gas range and oven, lotsa canned goods, front porch is dirt with an awning, etc. Excellent!

7. 1114vontagen

You're pretty much correct, except on the stove. We have an old Coleman that uses white gas.

8. Saff54

Saff54 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Sounds like a great trip!ill watch your progress!

9. handy_andy_cv64

Ooh, white gas! I haven't seen one of those since I was a very little kid, as we had one, a two-burner unit. I was always kept away from it, even if it was closed up.

10. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I love your blog Bill, and will definitely be following it. You gave me a few good laughs already, and I didn't have time to read what you have so far in its entirety.

11. Lowrider

Lowrider In Third Gear

Sounds like a cool trip. I've traveled most of it from Detroit into Ca. on my Harley. Did my share of "roughing it" along the way but even when I was in my 40's sleeping on the ground got old after a few days. Best ride of those trips were where it turned south out of Salt Lake City and across Nv. on US 50. Have fun.

12. 1114vontagen

We will have a tent trailer, so we won't be on the ground. I've noticed that the ground is much harder now than when I was a kid. It must have something to do with climate change.
    Bill

13. handy_andy_cv64

Bookmarked your trip page!

14. handy_andy_cv64

And I like both the historical and auto mechanical touches. Are you going to blog about the Army's 1919 trek across the USA? Fun fact: Major Dwight D. Eisenhower was the CO of that convoy, and his experiences, coupled with his travels on the German Autobahns during WWII, were the reason he signed the Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956 into law.

15. 1114vontagen

I am hoping to go on the 2019 tour. I will tag along with the Lincoln Highway Association's formal tour. Also, I will probably drive my 2006 Mustang for that tour.
    In September I joined with the Ca. Lincoln Highway Tour sponsored by the San Diego Packard Club. I will write about that in a future blog entry (watch for it in about a month).

16. handy_andy_cv64

San Diego is in my sights if I ever get a chance to travel (no money is the holdback), and that would mean traveling at least part of Route 66. I've been on a couple stretches in San Diego County when I was in the Navy back in the mid '80s.

17. 1114vontagen

I have posted another entry. This time about the restoration of the 1967 Montgomery Ward Tent Trailer.
    The Blog address is: www.afordonthelincoln.blogspot.com New entries will be on the 1st and the 15th of the month.

18. handy_andy_cv64

Cool. I'll go check it out. And I'll have to remember the First and Fifteenth.

19. 1114vontagen

My latest post on the blog is about a road trip I took in September on the California sections of the Lincoln Highway with the San Diego Packard Club and the California Chapter of the Lincoln Highway Assoc. I did the tour in my 1967 Ranchero with a 200cid 6. The address of the blog is: www.afordonthelincoln.blogspot.com
    1114vontagen

20. handy_andy_cv64

I'll check it out.