Worse Job You Ever Had ??..

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Huevos, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Cindy

Cindy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Hmmm... for me it was Arby's....It wasn't working fast food that irritated me. It was the fact that with every single customer I had to repeat back their entire order into a microphone. I was 18 and very shy. I didn't go back for the 2nd day, lol....

2. Cindy

:::::laughing:::::

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Fortunately for me, every job (even jobs within a job) were not necessarily 'worst-class,' but I've had a couple that I have had to endure. I did a stint in the Navy, served aboard the carrier USS Constellation CV64, and as a sailor, regardless of your 'rating' (your actual job), you're automatically a Jack of All Trades: painter/chipper, watch stander, custodian, and since feeding a phalanx of sailors is labor-intensive, every sailor goes through mess deck duty for 3-month stints, from line server, across mess deck maintainer, to scullery maid. I've done all three of those. And a ship of the fleet has logistical needs that rival manufacturing, so working parties move the materiel taken aboard from the hangar deck where it's all staged, down the decks to where it all will be stored, tons at a time. I once ended up with purple forearms hefting 65 pound boxes of frozen seafood for three hours. and over everything else, you are required, as a sailor, to know firefighting. You learn or burn. Anyone paying attention to the news back in Summer '88, would've seen us just off San Diego, fighting a major engine room fire, and yes, all hands from ship's company and the embarked reserve squadrons were all dragooned in fighting that fire, which took 23 hours to fully vanquish, hot spots, flare-ups and all. Now, having said all this, I would not ever trade my experiences for all the tea in China. These experiences were hard as pushing a rock uphill, but at the end of the day, the job was done, and I took a great deal of satisfaction in that.

Mike1969 likes this.
  4. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Back in 0ne nine sixty eightish I worked at a chicken ranch (auschwitz)down in Moreno Valley.Job entailed running Down long isles filled with caged nasty,smelly,beakless,lower forms of life. Then reaching in cages grabbing as many as possible by their feet in both hands and sprinting back down
    the 1/4 mile isle to waiting truck and stuff em in another cage for slaughter.The fun part was trying to stay upright and not fall face first in shit alla feathers.
    This is where I learned what that white stuff on top of chicken shit was..

5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Ooh, that is bad!

6. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Worst job: I used to fish a lot of bass tournaments. I was asked to join a company to rep for sonar and GPS/GPS mapping products...this company represented many brands and many fishing/sporting related products....the gig was, I'd arrive at bass pro or cabelas wearing my fishing jersey (has a ton of sponsors logos on it...) and answer questions about sonar/GPS, demo features, give installation advice, etc... So....the manger of this company tells me that in addition to sonar/GPS, I also had this, that, and the other to represent. Turns out, most folks are just like me...they don't want to be bothered when shopping... I was happy to help folks who wanted help....had no desire to "push" products on shoppers... I only lasted a few days at that gig... I was doing it as more of a favor since I already had a full time job in my current profession.

Toughest job: I spent a lot of my weekends at a family owned sawmill....at 15, I started working there in the summer. Stacking green lumber all day or limbing trees in the log woods...or sometimes "hooking chokers" off the back of a skidder....I couldn't keep my eyes open past 10 PM. A pair of leather gloves would last about a week. Lots of respect for those folks!

Cindy likes this.
  7. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

A baiter, eh?
    Did you ever achieve the title of 'Master'?

8. Cindy

<shaking my head...grinning...and saying 'oh lord'.....>

9. ribald1

What?
    There are Master electricians (I reached that level long ago), Master plumbers, all the trades have that level.
    I was just asking if he had stuck with it long enough to really learn the trade.

10. ribald1

Oh, I get it!
    You have a dirty mind. What you are thinking of is spelled differently.
    ;)

11. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Naw, I think you have to win the Bassmaster Classic to get that title :D

12. Cindy

<snicker>

13. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

As a consolation prize he can sew a JOHNSON outboard patch on his shirt...

Cindy likes this.