74 Ranchero 351w, Header choices or source?

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by snappydon, Oct 17, 2017.

1. snappydon

snappydon In Second Gear

I'm in the process of swapping the factory 302 in my 74' Ranchero to a roller block 94' 351w.

The car originally was 3 on the tree shifter and I'm installing a Toploader 4 speed.

I'm switching columns and eliminating all the 3 speed shift parts.

But I'm kinda running into a speed bump on finding headers that will work for my swap.

I called Hooker/Holley and got some vague answers but nothing solid.

I can't be the only guy to ever install headers on a 351w in this vintage Ranchero. What are other guys using or have used?

Thanks.

2. davis

davis In Maximum Overdrive

i'm running hedman hedders, shortys on my 302 mustang. no issues at all. i'd call them.

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

When ordering for 351W, use the '77-'79 T-bird/Cougar or the '75-76 Torino Elite; they came factory with 351W's. That's what I did for the 351W retrofit on Babe.

Freestyle Don likes this.
  4. snappydon

snappydon In Second Gear

Winning! I went to the Hooker website and sure enough, if I enter a 77 T-bird it gives the 351W option!

seems like Hooker # 6124HKR should work.

Thanks!

5. handy_andy_cv64

You're welcome! I'm glad it helped!

6. bigears

bigears In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

I'm switching columns and eliminating all the 3 speed shift parts.

Hi there speedy Don just wondering if you could put all those three speed parts into a box for me in exchange for some $$
    Previous owner did a pretty average/shit job of installing a Hurst shifter in my ride brought site unseen so didn't know ......... o_O
    I need to get it back on the steering column so are looking for these parts so I can get her through compliance which is tough here in New Zealand
    and not being US based have little to no chance of finding what I want here ......... :(
    I have a US address in Portland Oregon 97203 to make it simple
    Cheers bigears :)

Mine has the Cleveland with headers not sure of the brand but all but touching the cross member on the drive side not a lot of space
    IMG_4770 (600 x 450).jpg IMG_4769 (600 x 450).jpg

7. Kiwirancher

Kiwirancher In Fourth Gear

Hi Bigears , I have been wanting to post a few photos but haven’t even been able to change my avatar !! Would it be possible for you to write a brief , or detailed , explanation of what I need to do ? As we are both in NZ your knowledge may help a somewhat tech deficient Gisborne Ranchero owner!
    Denis.

bigears likes this.
  8. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Probably why they put in the floor shift, looks like the header is going to be in way for a column shifter. Might want to start looking for some stock exhaust manifolds.

9. bigears

Well now that's an interesting point I didn't consider :oops: not knowing how the original setup was
    I'm not sure at all either way .......... Cheers :)

10. 1965 Ranchero 66G

11. 1965 Ranchero 66G

I'm running into the same problem on my 65, putting in a 351W and stock manifolds won't work so I have to go with block hugger headers and a floor shift.

12. 1965 Ranchero 66G

Why won't they allow a floor shift, or do they require it to be stock.?

13. bigears

So I can see were the steering box is and where it needs to go this is a better picture maybe someone
    has a picture of an original column set up so I have a better idea .......

IMG_4774 (600 x 450).jpg

14. snappydon

snappydon In Second Gear

Ranchero 3 spd shifter 023.JPG Ranchero 3 spd shifter 022.JPG I'm gonna try to post a couple pics of how the shift setup is routed...

This is 74' car with a 302, manual steering and manual brakes. Ranchero 3 spd shifter 023.JPG View attachment 1085

15. snappydon

snappydon In Second Gear

The shift shaft actually angles to the right of the column where it comes thru the firewall. LOTS of room with the 302, but the bigger heads of a Cleveland might be tighter.

16. 1965 Ranchero 66G

Thanks for picking tat up Don.

17. bigears

Starting to get the idea ...... so its a solid bar that runs under the steering box and I presume
    rods to the Trans

They allow it but not being NZ new anything other than stock requires engineering certification shit load of paperwork etc Oh and of course lots of $$$$

18. snappydon

snappydon In Second Gear

Bigears...I'll send you a pm about the parts.

The column shift mechanism comes thru the firewall a few inches to the passenger side (American LH drive) of the steering column. Instead of running parallel to the steering column it angles off to the pass side. You can see the way the shift shaft plate is kinda angled in the firewall. The 2 flat vertical arms on the end of the black shaft unit have the shift connecting rods attached to them. You can't really see the rods because of the valve cover. From there the shift rods (1st &rev) and (2 & 3) run down to the shift arms on the tranny. The round bar under the steering box is the clutch bellcrank. It bolts onto the frame on one end and into a ball stud on the bellhousing on the other end.

I'm keeping and using all the clutch operation hardware as I'll need it for my toploader. But the steering column with all the shift mechanism and firewall plate will be surplus parts. I'll be going to a stock Toploader 4 speed with the factory Hurst Competition Plus shifter and linkage.

Also...this car is set up with MANUAL STEERING!! I don't know if the steering column itself has a longer shaft than a power steering column. Perhaps center shafts can be swapped to accomadate a longer snouted power box. Any input here would be great guys!!

19. snappydon

snappydon In Second Gear

Bigears..after looking more at your pics...is your car a manual transmission? Or a 3 speed automatic with a floor shift installed?

20. handy_andy_cv64

Hey, you're out in Hoodsport--I'm over here in Ever Rott.

IIRC, the power and manual steering boxes, and the intermediate shaft from the column to the input shaft, are supposed to be the same mounting pattern, same length, same shaft diameters, etc. I'm sure you can source a floor shift auto column for an intermediate car, and of course, get the steering box, pump with bracket and hoses to fit. Think '77-'79 T-bird/Cougar, as those parts all interchange.