Master cylinder Finish?

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Saff54, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Saff54

Saff54 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

44C5762F-893C-41B5-A84A-5C58ABC6B39E.jpeg afternoon all,so I finally got the brake booster and new master cylinder installed awhile back,the booster is painted black,the master cylinder had an oiled finish on it,been driving it quite a bit and now the master cylinder is covered in rust,my question is:how do I make it look better?if I do paint it,what prep should I do to it?i was thinking about rubbing it with oil?dont want to paint it have it peel off if I get any brake fluid on it,as always thanks for any help or thoughts!

2. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

That looks like surface rust.. I would just wire brush it.

If the rust is a perpetual problem. Ospho.. a rust inverter. Chemical change from rust oxide to an inert.

I used it on many of my original parts that were going back on the car. A good soak, let it dry, wire brush to clean up any unwanted residue. Will be ready for primer when done.

3. Saff54

Thanks P.E.R,I’ll give it a shot with the wire brush,I did try Steel wool on it but it didn’t change the look of it,taking it to a car show this weekend so I want it to look presentable

4. 1978GT

1978GT In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

We have all seen many nice rides with detailed engine compartments, but with a rusty master cylinder like yours. Absolutely no reason for that when the solution is so easy.

I like Rustoleum Rust Reformer, 8 oz about $6 at Walmart. No prep, just brush it on and in 15 minutes the surface is stabilized. You can then paint over it with a satin black if you want to. If your gasket is in good condition, shouldn't be any fluid dripping out to damage the paint.

Mask off the lines and fittings first, then just use steel wool or a fine grit paper to bring them back.

Maybe paint the cover in Ford Blue for a final touch.

5. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

6. Saff54

Not sure how I would get by without you guys! thank you for all the help!

7. Saff54

You too Cindy!consider you one of the guys too!

8. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

The Eastwood master cylinder paint holds up against brake fluid well.

9. Billy Zoom

Billy Zoom In Fourth Gear

Wire brush, and then paint it with Graphite spray lube. It leaves a clean looking, dark gray finish. You can always touch it up with a little graphite spray on a rag.