Intermittent clogged fuel line/fuel pressure?

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Rancherestorer19, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Rancherestorer19

Rancherestorer19 In Fourth Gear

Hey guys weird problem developed with the '77 Chero. Seems I have intermittent fuel pressure at random. The Fuel pump is new, the fuel filter is brand new, all of the lines except for the metal line going along the frame to the fuel tank are new. (Rubber lines)

This problem never showed up until I used fuel from a rusty fuel can (I had to use this fuel can because someone stole my original fuel can and I had thought it was all cleaned out, but upon checking the fuel in it I realized that it was orange and had metallic rust flakes in it.

I have also tried running a plastic (New) fuel can directly from the fuel line and experienced the same problem. (It is not a problem in the fuel tank) I have also taken apart the fuel tank and replaced the float and cleaned out that fuel line coming from it.

I suspect there is something weirdly intermittently blocking the metal fuel line along the frame rail going from the fuel tank to the fuel pump on the engine.

Is this possible? How do I clean this metal fuel line out? I had thought about using an air compressor and blowing it out, but I do not have one and do not know where to get one/cannot afford one..

Any ideas? I suspect rust in the line.

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

There is likely a filter at the inlet to your carb.
    It will look like a nut around the fuel inlet. Inside, if you have this, you will find a ceramic filter. You can blow through it backwards with compressed air as a short term solution, but they are cheap.
    Also, look under the car for an inline filter before the pump (unless that is the one you changed).

3. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Is #3 the filter you replaced? If not look there

upload_2018-8-16_9-50-43.png

4. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

I very much doubt that it is the fuel line and have to agree with the filter at the carb is likely the problem but I would agree to also ck for a inline filter underneath.

5. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

The sock in the tank (if there) should have caught any large pieces of rust, if not its possible if they got through that it could have punctured the diaphragm in the fuel pump, ck your oil and smell for gas.

6. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.