New guy from NC

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by weavertwins12, Oct 11, 2018.

1. weavertwins12

weavertwins12 In First Gear

I look forward to learning more about Rancheros and getting some help along the way of my restoration. I have a 1971 GT that has been in my family since 1973. It was sitting in a basement for almost 25 years (untouched since my father's death) and over the past year I have been working on it (with help from a friend) to get it on the road and to a few shows. It is still far from being done.

Thanks, Brian
    Capture ranchero.JPG

2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Look done to me. Nice.

Freestyle Don likes this.
  3. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Welcome, I agree with TD great looking Chero.

4. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

70 and 71's are popping up all over. Looks nice.

5. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

The Ranchero's that are being stored since the 70's are popping up also... Amazing the similarities in stories as well!

another nice one here.

6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yes, quite gorgeous, but I have a question: have you kept all the original parts and wheels that you've replaced?

7. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

nice , enjoy the shows post up more pictures when you are able /Welcome to the site /ANDY

8. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

nice looking chero but if your air cleaner is one like this please throw it in the trash
    upload_2018-10-12_23-43-29.png

9. TestDummy

What he said. Total garbage.

10. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Nice!!!

11. weavertwins12

weavertwins12 In First Gear

Yes, I have everything. It originally had a 351C in it- but it was going to require a sleeved cylinder. I kept the 351C and C4. I found a '71 429 and a C6 that we rebuilt to put in its place. It had been sitting so long that I couldn't part with the polyglas original tires and have them on the original wheels. Thanks, Brian

12. handy_andy_cv64

Nice to have the 429, but do you plan on eventually repairing the Cleveland, restoring it back to its factory glory?

13. TestDummy

Replace a 429 with a 351? Hahahahaha :confused: Why not just put a straight 6 in there instead. :confused:

Kiwirancher and Hillbilly like this.
  14. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

I'm with Sean there. Put the 351 in a jet ski or lawn mower or maybe a Fox body Mustang. The 351 is nice but it can't compare to the larger engine.

Kiwirancher likes this.
  15. handy_andy_cv64

I'm only thinking originality. If I had been able to find a different higher-displacement engine for Babe, don't you think I would've?

16. TestDummy

Originality and value aren't compatible with Ranchero's.

Kiwirancher likes this.
  17. handy_andy_cv64

I'm not talking value, only originality.

18. PonyExpressRider

Some Ranchero's do have some value... better value then what is expressed here sometimes. Yes Rare does not mean valuable! Neither does popular, but it will get you more value!

But I have been surprised (blown away) by what some people think mine is worth! Even Hagerty has the value above what some people here would think. So apparently, rare and original, does have some value! Generally speaking yes, Ranchero's are not that popular which can hurt the value. Its also safe to say that if you have 1 of 10,000 the value is going to be hurt again.

Its all about what someone is willing to pay! I get it!

When I began restoring mine, I had a friend tell me; "custom or original, the value will be the same, as long as you are aware that you will never get what you got in it, out of it... ". Words have pretty much fallen true, generally speaking.

Kiwirancher likes this.
  19. Kiwirancher

Kiwirancher In Fourth Gear

Must say I agree PonyExpressRider . I don't worry too much what I put into mine -- I probably have about $40 ,000 in mine by now . Could maybe get $30,000 for it here on a good day! I get my value out of things by keeping them and using them. The enjoyment of cruising in a vehicle that you have toiled on and that you like is priceless .
    Denis.

PonyExpressRider and beerbelly like this.
  20. PonyExpressRider

I will be pretty close to that $40K number if not over by the time I finish the detail stuff that's left to do, and get the Numbers Matching Block back in the car. Not counting my labor, which I have estimated at about 1000 hours! But even with that, the numbers that I have heard tossed around about the value of my car by knowledgeable car people dwarf that number! And not by people I know, but people who have been around cars for a long time and understand what they are looking at. Maybe they are just in shock to finally see something they have only heard about. I guess I won't truly know until I am completely done and have it appraised.

The $30K number seems to be the consensus high value for a Ranchero, and a really nice one, on the board here. But yes, just driving it around and seeing people reactions make it all worth while!

PER