Throttle cable and bracket

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by 74Chero, Nov 6, 2018.

1. 74Chero

74Chero In Third Gear

Anyone here running a 351w with a rpm air gap intake? If so what cable and bracket setup are you running? My current bracket and cable will not seem to work. Any suggestions thanks

2. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Manifold should have provisions for mounting stock bracket/cable?No issues with 400m.
    [​IMG]

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That's an Air Gap on that 400? That's nicely done, doesn't look out of place at all.

4. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

No, they don't make an air gap intake for a 400 - but he's right about the provisions for the stock bracket/cable, it would look just like his as shown.

5. 74Chero

74Chero In Third Gear

The cable and bracket from my 400 is to short to work with the 351w with the air gap. I tried hooking it up but would not reacb

6. handy_andy_cv64

You'd think it would fit because 351m/400; can you post a pic of the mounting and the cable/bracket? This may take that 429/460 cable, and/or a fabbed bracket.

7. 74Chero

74Chero In Third Gear

Won't be able to post pics until Friday

8. handy_andy_cv64

No problem, we'll keep our eyes peeled.

9. rancheromac

rancheromac In Third Gear

on my 79 ranchero, I swapped a 460 from 35m and I used a throttle cable from a 78 mark 5 Lincoln.1 1/2" longer

10. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Measure your cable from firewall to end,I may have the cable in pic.If it will work,you can have it!

11. handy_andy_cv64

I think this will be your solution; I was sure the 460 cable was longer.

12. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I bolted the throttle cable and bracket from the 300 straight-6 that originally came in my Ranchero, to the Weiand Stealth intake on the 460 I put in there, and the linkage hooked to the carb like it was supposed to be there. Sometimes you get lucky, I suppose.
    [​IMG]

13. handy_andy_cv64

Your Chero had a 300 CID six? Was that factory? I know Galaxies had the same family six available, but those were 240 CID. Anyway, yeah, you appear to have lucked out.

14. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

You could get a 70 or 71 with a 6 and three on the tree. The 250 was stock for the 70 base 'chero.

15. handy_andy_cv64

Right, I remember that, but that engine series is different from the 240/300 engine series. I've only known the 300 to be installed in 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks and vans.

16. TestDummy

You are correct. Mine had a 250, three on tree. Base as base can get. Every other Ford '6' I've had was a 300 (Maverick, Grenada, F100).

And, FTR, I strengthened the lower crossmember, because it was really weak looking, and different than the other Chero's I had which came with 302's.

17. handy_andy_cv64

I never could figure that out. The Fox platform cars also had a different crossmember, though not weak-looking; why not just make one design, strong enough for the heaviest big block, and mounts that accomodate each engine to that member?

18. TestDummy

Same reason they would remove one bolt per car if it's not needed. Money! 10 cents of extra steel per car, times 500,000 cars, starts adding up. There are companies that do nothing but take new cars apart and give the OE's reports on what they think can be removed.

Kiwirancher likes this.
  19. handy_andy_cv64

You know, I was sure that was getting done, but I always thought the carmakers kept it internal, for reasons of proprietary secrecy.