1964 Ranchero clutch fork spring/clip questions

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Dark Side Tom, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Dark Side Tom

Dark Side Tom In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

Just pulled the Chero T10 for a clutch replacement. Surprised that the fork seem to be laying in a vertical stand, with the corresponding crease in the fork keeping it there. Then, after some searching, found that a wire clip that mounts thru the fork was missing!
    So, begs the question: while the old disc and pressure plate look good (throwout bearing no so much), might the missing clip contribute to the clutch chatter I get when I was engaging?
    Also, I'd thought that the clutch was worn out, as it seemed to grab only near the bottom of release. But as mentioned above, not much wear there. Also, flywheel surface is smooth with no obvious issues.

Opinions? When clip installed ,and fork correctly mounted, is the clip on the throwout side of the metal stand or the boot side??

DST

2. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

thee clip is mainly to hold the clutch fork and keep it from rattling around do not think it would cause clutch to chatter

3. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Usually a chatter is a result of the clutch not engaging evenly across the whole surface, as if it is crooked in relation to the flywheel.

4. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Very rarely can the spring pressures in the pressure plate be off so far that they can be seen - 5.0 Chero and cbolt have it right, it's an uneven clamping of the disc which causes the chatter. That's why the pedal seems to "bounce" when it's happening. Make sure you have the flywheel resurfaced anyway, that way you are assured of an even surface to grab onto.

5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Both the flywheel and pressure plate need to be inspected for warpage and parallel surfaces. I've seen warped pressure plates on new clutches that only had a few thousand miles or less (even had one that might have been warped but it certainly was flawed from the factory).

6. Dark Side Tom

Found out how the clip mounts. The stand that the fork sits in has a tab at the bottom on the bearing side. The clip goes thru each side of the fork and then pried behind the tab, holdind the fork secure. Can't upload the pic from my phone, too large. Will use my PC later
    DST

7. Dark Side Tom

Not the best photo, but shows the clip under the tab on the fork stand.

DST clutch fork clip.JPG