Rear axle spring insulators?

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Truckpoor, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Truckpoor

Truckpoor In Second Gear

After looking all over the pace, I am more confused than anything. According to my Ford parts book, the part I need is C4Gy 5741 A. Carpenter sell a C6OZ but according to what it says it does not fit a 69 Ranchero with a V8. Not certain what the difference is nor certain where to go to ask, So I thought I would ask here. My rubbers are not to bad but I've already sunk a fortune in the rear springs, why stop now. That being said, there are a pair of the C4GY NOS insulators on evilbay for the princely sum of 200 plus dollars. Only 100$ each and I'm nearly there as soon as I find two others, not! This rubber fits many cars in the 60's and early 70's, surely someone make a reproduction. Anyone here know of a source?

Have a great day,
    Rich

2. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Don't fix what isn't broken - if your spring insulators are not junk, leave 'em.

3. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Methinks the sage advice tendered is overtaken by events (OBE) - another post indicated the "fun" experienced by removing the old ones from one side. Once started down a track sometimes dictates that you just have to finish it.

Do the parts books show the dimensions or can you get them? I don't have an OSI (wish I did) ((OSI = Obsolete and Superseded Index)) which is the gospel from Ford on what later part replaces or supersedes the original. Looking at the parts books that part has a very wide range of cars, I think I'd look at Torino, Falcon
    etc as multiple platforms from '66 through '70 call for the same part. With that wide of application I'd suspect they are available.

4. Truckpoor

Truckpoor In Second Gear

As to reusing the orignal rubber cushions, those are still usable but have some splits and the springs had another problem. The drivers side was setting coked at an angle on the axle. I would assume that tis was mostly caused by the badly worn bushings and abuse the car had endured over the years. No telling how long the spring had bee this way but I'm assuming that insulator is most likely damaged. I took the cushions off and cleaned rust off with a small wire cup brush on a drill, , as I did so I noticed two cuts alon each side, actually one both sets of insulators. To give a little history of what I have seen under this Ranchero, it has sustained a lot of bouncing over rocks. The underside has many bent spots, both pan engine and transmission are dented badly, and the front suspension has been banged around pretty hard. It will never see this kind of abuse from me,but it really needed tal the springs replaced, which I am doing. Another sign it needed springs in the rear was the air shocks it has on the rear. As a guess, I would say some knot headed youngster owned or had possesion of this in the past. Overall the frame is not hurt but pieces and parts under there are bent. I'm not afraid of using the insulators on the rear that came of it, but when it cost 480 for a set of springs 30$ for new eye bolts for the front of the springs and another 50 for new shackles, why not replace those while I' m at it, those parts are worn. I could check with Fordmotor company and see if the things are stillin the book, but Ford prices things higher than the aftermrket most of the time. When Ford quit supplying head light doors for the 66 F100's the list price was 150 each, and that was a long time ago. I believe they do the high prices so people will not buy the parts, and then they could justify not offering these parts.

5. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

6. Truckpoor

Truckpoor In Second Gear

For those of you watching and or reading this post, I've been doing research on the net and checking prices. Understand, that I cannot vouch for quality of any particular product but I have found one source to be cheaper than many others . That source is National Parts Depot offers the C6OZ 5741 for Mustangs at 7.95 plus 10$ for sipping and I ordered a set to see if these will work. At half or less the price of other suppliers, I thought I could afford to try these and will let everyone know what I find. Since I don't have any of the other brands product, it will be hard to judge one against the other. Will be a few days before I get these parts

Rider thank you for your help, I 've ordered the set I found after talking to several people on the net. May not work for me will let everyone know wht I find out about the ones I've bought and how those work out. At 7$ each price beats everyone else. Nearly all these pieces were coming from the same source is what I was told speaking of the insulators only but most likely true of of all the parts. I've bought a lot of parts from Ecklers/Macs in the past and will continue to do so. The listings are confusing, and you will find if you dig deep enough that there are two numbers listed that show to fit some of the vehicles and not others. Most common is the C6OZ number advertised for sale, but technically not for any 68/9 Ranchero other than a 6 cylinder. What I found is that it is being sold to fit v8 sometimes, but not by that number. C4Gy 5741 A is the number is Fords parts book. Not having an Osi catalog, I am left with no interchange numbers.

7. PonyExpressRider

When I was building Brittany... I had catalogs for MAC's, Ecklers, Dearborne (Now all under one roof)… CJPony, National Parts Depot (NPD)…

Sitting in front of the TV looking through, and making parts lists, was more comfortable then hours in front of the screen!

What I liked most about NPD, is that their parts numbers are easy to cross reference... So I would look at the Ford Assembly from the Manual, get the number there (for example - 5741), and NPD used the same number for the same part. THEN, look at the application list on line, and it would give me the make and year of cars it would fit... I could then go to local NAPA or Auto Zone and check local suppliers, save shipping. A little more work... but when you are building on a budget...

Carl Steinbarger likes this.
  8. Truckpoor

Truckpoor In Second Gear

I have done fairly well at times dealing with local parts houses, especially O'Rilley's, and they could supply some of the parts but often it takes longer to get those parts as these are not held at their supply centers. At 10$ For shipping I most likely could have been ahead going that way, as it turns out one of my bolts still has not come in and I needed the insulators that I've had such a hrd time tracking down the correct ones. Still not sure on those but ordered some anyway. Sometimes you just have to stop scratching and get it done right or wrong. Righ or wrong, it is a done deal.

PonyExpressRider likes this.
  9. PonyExpressRider

OH! Definitely! But it only takes one wrong part and having to pay shipping back, you begin double checking and making sure... and checking local parts houses before ordering.

10. Truckpoor

Truckpoor In Second Gear

Got my insulators C6)Z number , which were not correct for a V8 Ranchero, but worked out fine. After comparing the pieces, the original C4Gy insulator is longe rand maybe thicker, but I installed the new ones, the rubber protruded out of the ends of the brackets so all is well I think. I also found that these are being sold by some places as C4Gy insulators and as C4DZ insulators. Go figure. Anyway, I hope this helps someone else with their projects. Why these are on the Fairlane and not the Mustangs, I have no idea. Perhaps for a quieter ride?