Jacking up the front

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Carl Steinbarger, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Carl Steinbarger

Carl Steinbarger In Second Gear

Is there anywhere on the front end to place a floor jack to jack up the whole front end at one time?? I've been jacking up each wheel at a time to place a ramp under the wheel but it 's a pain to do one side at a time.. Is there any place in the middle to jack the entire front end at one time??? Thanks for your input...

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

It'll require you to lay flat on the floor/ground, but place the saddle centered under the engine crossmember, behind the oil pan. You need to be able to see it, so you don't accidentally damage the pan. Anyway, set the parking brake, or failing that, chock the rear wheels on both sides, to keep the car from moving. That will get your car high off the ground for underside work.

Carl Steinbarger likes this.
  3. Carl Steinbarger

Thanks andy.. I guess the front cross member just in front of the radiator would bend if lifted with a floor jack???

4. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

not a good jacking point on the uni-body years

5. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

All my unit body Fords had only a small round piece of tubing under the engine. Tried jacking there on a junk Torino and that tube folded like a cheap suit. I have never had a problem jacking a unit body using the front crossmember ( The one where the strut rod bushings are located ). Only exception was when that crossmember was excessively rusted. On a full frame Ranchero like Andy has the huge crossmember under the engine is a fine lift point.

6. Carl Steinbarger

Thanks for the info^^^ Hillbilly.. That's what I was hoping.. I'll try that carefully on my rust free front cross member...

7. handy_andy_cv64

Even on a unit body, the engine crossmember is supposed to have enough strength to allow jacking the car, but I can see where jacking one with a larger, more weighty, engine could cause problems. I do recall, shops used to have dual-forked bay lifts for lifting one end of a car, and some even had capacities exceeding twenty tons. But if you're worried about the strength of the engine crossmember, place a 2X6 or 2X8 block, 12" long, between the saddle and crossmember. That will spread the lifting force across the crossmember.

8. Carl Steinbarger

Very good idea andy ^^^.. I knew I would get some good answers here.. Thanks alot guys....

9. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Assumes there IS a cross member - Some 6 cylinder unibody Fords of that era don't have a cross member under the engine.

neil brown likes this.
  10. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I remember my old '73... Dad threw a rod in the Windsor and put the jack under the frame rail to investigate, and began pumping. It went through the frame, it was rusted so bad. Went off to the boneyard the next day. Oops, sorry for the drift.

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  11. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Lives saved.

ForistellFord likes this.
  12. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

My '65 V8 doesn't have the crossmember under the engine either, as it has the factory exhaust crossover pipe there.

13. handy_andy_cv64

Wow. No wonder why these Cheros and wagons had so much flex! The other solution would be ramps, either bought or built. If you need to work on the front suspension, use the side-to-side method. So check for that crossmember!

14. neil brown

neil brown In Second Gear

Manual says to jack on the bumper...... Not sure i would tho. My 6 cylinder ranchero doesnt have an engine crossmember, tho the PO did sell me one with the truck.

15. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I would recommend using the unibody 'frame' sections as the jacking points. You can also use a jack under the center of the rear differential to raise the rear. Always use jack stands of course.