1978 Ranchero GT

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by MIKESTANATOR, May 22, 2019.

1. MIKESTANATOR

MIKESTANATOR In Second Gear SILVER MEMBER

My name is Mike and I live in Raleigh, NC. I have been on the forum a little while but I do not post much. I finally got my car back from paint. Was told 2-3 months was almost 7. Turned out decent, not show quality paint, but I did not pay show quality price. Going to have lots of questions coming over the summer! Stoked to get back to work on the "RADchero"

Attached Files:

2. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

Nice color! I have a '64, so it's a lot smaller than yours. Welcome from SoCal!

Joseph

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I agree! Not as dark as the original Midnight Blue, but not as light as the blut that Babe is wearing, and definitely electric.

4. Saff54

Saff54 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Very nice,what else do you have planned for it?condition overall?

5. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

Sweet color! In my favorite year range! Whatcha gonna do with her?

Cheers,

Doc

6. MIKESTANATOR

Thanks guys! Hopefully this weekend or next I will sound proof the floor and door panels, and install new carpet. I really wanna do some get stripes down the back side. The stock gt stripes are ugly as hell. I'm tryin to figure out a custom one that I will get done in matte black vinyl. I want to change the way it says GT into a cool tattoo style script that people will either love or hate... Biggest plan I have that I'm tryin to figure out is a 5.0 motor. To be honest I'm no mechanic so I'm tryin to figure out if I can financially make it happen. Whoever I bought the car from stripped all my A/C stuff out, so Its hotter than 2 rats banging in a wool sock when I'm driving around. I wanna get it sorted but If I'm swapping the motor i feel like I'd use the stuff from that motor. I gotta get new pics of the interior but here's one, I love the steering wheel, some don't...

Attached Files:

7. handy_andy_cv64

I could never use it; it's bad enough the round ones rub my trouser zippers into shreds. If you do a swap to a 5.0 engine, Might I suggest a Crown Vic one, so that you can use the A/C gear on it? All that's needed is to plumb it to the evaporator and valve assembly (which can be recalibrated for R134a) and to a Crown Vic condenser that will require a small amount of modding on the core support to get both lines through the passenger side of it to hook up to the system. All you'd need to drop it in is the proper mounts, a front oil sump and pan, and drill a hole in the front of the timing cover to fit a front-sump dipstick. Search on here for 5.0L installs, there's at least two I've posted pics of Babe's engine timing cover and dipstick install.

8. Kiwirancher

Kiwirancher In Fourth Gear

Like it or not there is no way I would be able to drive around legally over here with a steering wheel like that. I think that if I even put a custom wheel on my Ranchero I would have to have it certified.
    Denis.

9. handy_andy_cv64

Besides, the damned thing's like the crossbar on a men's bike--in an accident, it's gonna do ya double damage!

10. Saff54

Saff54 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Interesting wheel for sure!

11. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

WOW! Is that real,or photoshop?

12. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

Now that's a Shaggin' Wagon for sure!!!!

13. handy_andy_cv64

I dunno how...a gal couldn't fit down there, that's for sure!

14. MIKESTANATOR

Hope everyone is having a great memorial weekend. Drink one for our fallen heros. Haha there is no photoshop on the pics. Denis, What does it mean that you would have to have a custom steering wheel certified? You need fo take it for an inspection? I got the steering wheel for a van I have but it's not going to be road worthy anytime soon. So I put it on the Ranchero. It's just temporary. Thanks Handy Andy for the suggestion on the swap, I'm going to read up on them. Has anyone done any custom stripes going down the back of a Ranchero? I think the stock GT one is so ugly but there is potential to make something cool out of it. I think my car would look good with a little black down the back.

Attached Files:

15. Kiwirancher

We have a system here in NZ where we have to get any modifications checked and OK'd by a registered certifier. When I fitted the 3 point seatbelts to my 66 I had to drive down to see the nearest cert guy, 3/4 hour ,and get him to tell me what I had to do [ which was what I was going to do anyway ] then go home and do it , then go back and show him . He took many photos and as I have torque thrust 2s he had to check them and the speedo and brakes as well ! All passed -- the brakes only just -- and then I was issued with a cert plate that lists all mods and is fitted under the hood. A $1000.00 exercise all up. Sounds like a lot of mucking around but it is a system that works. We also have a system of 6 monthly checks for older vehicles and if a mod is noticed and not listed on your cert plate you are not legal to drive until it is certed. If you are doing a scratch build you need to get the car checked at certain stages of the build. Our certifying agency is the Low Volume Vehicle Association. They were set up by Hot Rodders to work with government agencies to forestall legislation that would have made it hard to drive any modified vehicle.
    Denis.

MIKESTANATOR likes this.
  16. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

Andy, it's not a car and doesn't have a back seat. It does however come with a BED. Between you me and the fence post, a Queen AeroBed fits nicely between the wheel wells and offers a veritable play pen on those starry summer nights. Also keeps you off the ground for those places that have critters that like to join you in the middle of the night. Or so I've read........

Cheers,

Doc

MIKESTANATOR likes this.
  17. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

MIKESTANATOR, tell me about your hood scoop! Functional? Glass? Metal?

Cheers,

Doc

18. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

Kiwirancher,

Sounds like a lot of work to keep these old girls on the road down there. I live in Southern California, where our Rancheros are considered pickups, and need to be registered as commercial vehicles (even though mine is 55 years old, and not used for commercial purposes) :mad:. On the positive side, I can pretty much do whatever I want, and nobody cares (to a degree]. I converted my '67 to have disc brakes in the front, but didn't need to get it certified. Maybe I should be certified, for playing with 50-year-old "toys." :D

Joseph

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  19. Kiwirancher

Yeah , I get a bit jealous , and sometimes incredulous , at what you can get away with. My mate in Ohio runs his A coupe with no mufflers and no problems. When I was there last year a friend of his turned up with an A coupe as well -- running straight out of the headers ! Sounded good but we couldn't get away with that for long here.
    Denis.

20. MIKESTANATOR

Doc,
    It is a non functional fiber glass 1969-1970 Cougar scoop. I really like how it turned out.

Attached Files:

Doc76251 likes this.