Le`Roy headers dont clear cross member SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by andrewok1, Jun 1, 2019.

1. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

2. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Fabrication time notch cross-member and box in notch with pipe call me if you want and we can discuss it

Actually I kinda like that long tube headers usually hang down to low

andrewok1 and cbolt like this.
  3. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Maximum Overdrive

Are the headers ceramic coated? If not (unless you don't care) maybe they can be heated and tweaked a bit to clear. I ran into a similar problem with an ill-fated 351 Ranger project and had an exhaust place do a little heating and bending for clearance.

andrewok1 likes this.
  4. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

Seems when I was looking at Modern Drive Line for T-56 swap ideas they had trans braces made out of DOM tube that were pretty svelte. Might be an expensive fix but I would bet they had one to work. Otherwise chop, cut, weld. I'm looking a shorty or "mid" headers for the 351W platform in the 77 - 79 body.

Cheers,

Doc

andrewok1 likes this.
  5. andrewok1

thanks - this will be a problem for the owner, as to what he wants to be done, will let all you guys know. /ANDY

6. andrewok1

Also when ording parts and this pops up its a very good idea to dig deeper before wasting Ranchero $$$$BUCKS

THIS PART DOESN'T FIT YOUR VEHICLE
    [​IMG]
    1972 Ford Ranchero GT
    View parts that fit your vehicle change Vehicle

7. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Well -- "mustang shorty" headers will bolt onto the heads, but who knows if they will clear steering box.

8. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

Yes they will clear the steering box but getting a down tube fabbed for the cats will be more of a hassle, fortunately that will be an issue for the exhaust fab guy who is pretty scooby at making bends and cutting wedges.

Cheers,

Doc

9. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

5.0 mustang shorty headers did not clear the box in my 73 when I swapped it the 5.0

10. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

I talked with the bubba's at Patriot and they suggested the "Universal" SBF headers, as they have less down angle than the Mustang ones, obviously they can't make a recommendation because it's an after emissions vehicle (1977) but they were kind enough to give me the exact dims of the headers with angles. Near as I can guestimate the steering box won't be an issue but the T-56 Magnum will require some pipe bending finess. Worst case I will have to cut the flange off the collector and reorient it so the ears are more friendly.

Cheers,

Doc

11. andrewok1

The fit on the steering box is good with these headers just need to get better alignment to cross member

12. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

If they aren't coated, heat and a baseball bat inserted into the collector (for leverage) will move it a TON without much effort, just have to heat them in the right places.
    If they are coated, as it's been said, chop and weld.

andrewok1 likes this.
  13. andrewok1

HI YA KARATE . CHOP CHOP

have to find the funny in this situation

14. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

It would be SO much easier if it was your own. :D

15. tony o

tony o In Third Gear

I’ve always gone with modifying the cross member in this kind of situation. For me being able to do the work out of the car on the bench rather than under the car is a big bonus. Heating and bending the headers is something I never tried. I don’t know how you could get a torch in there with a rosebud tip and not heat something you really don’t want to get hot. Like the steering box, rag joint, brake lines,wiring. Keep in mind that hot air rises and anything above where you are heating needs to be protected. If I was going to try bending the header I would do it out of the car. I would clamp the exhaust flange to the bench and measure to the floor. The I could heat the tubes where I have good access and visibility and make sure I didn’t buckle or collapsed any tubes. I am looking forward to see you’re solution.

andrewok1 likes this.
  16. uk ranchero

uk ranchero In Third Gear

i had this problem. got round it by modifying the cross member. bending the headers would not work for me due to the width of the AODE, as it is i put an insulator around the pipe where it passes the switch

17. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That's an easy fix.