Another new guy

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by neil brown, May 11, 2019.

1. neil brown

neil brown In Second Gear

Hi, it looks like i'm buying a 65 Ranchero tomorrow, so, i thought i'd find some like minded people to chat to and obviously help sort out the 'challenges' of an old car that I know nothing about.
    I've been into cars for years, owning my first at 15, a 53 bug. I've had alot of vw's, all cal look inspired, and currently own a 54 bug and a 71 bus. I also own a 40 ford Sedan, which I'm slowly hot rodding. So i'm not a complete novice, I know my way around a spanner and a welder. Heres a pic of the truck. Its a 6, but has front and rear discs, and an 8.8 rear with lsd. truck.jpg but know nothing about these trucks.

2. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

Nice Ride!! Welcome aboard! You will certainly find many folks here that can answer those nagging questions. "Spanner" ? England, OZ or NZ?

Cheers,

Doc

3. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Very nice!

4. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Looks like it says UK in his location and from the looks of the front plate
    Nice looking little chero I believe you will find that the rear end is a modified exploder rear end a very common swap
    the wheels are explorer also

5. neil brown

Yes Doc, England, and thanks chero, i knew the wheels are Explorer, didnt realise the axle would be as well. Would they be Explorer discs aswell?

6. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Rear yes probability is high that they are. The explorer 8.8 is a cheap and strong swap for early falcons and mustangs the pumpkin is offset so you just shorten one axle tube and use 2 short axles. Almost do not even need a jig to weld it

7. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

welcome... nice ride

8. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Welcome aboard! Whereabouts in the UK? We visit NW England a couple times a year to visit friends.

9. neil brown

Hi cbolt, I’m south east, just outside London

cbolt likes this.
  10. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Well I will certainly let you know if we plan a trip down to London on any of our visits. We have friends in Preston and Chorley, so we tend to stay in that general area. I would love to see your Ranchero in person someday.

neil brown likes this.
  11. Saff54

Saff54 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Welcome Neil,you came to the right place,great forum great bunch of guys(and girls!)

neil brown likes this.
  12. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

Welcome to the club. Nice ride!

Joseph

13. neil brown

A little update, my Ranchero is dead, well, kind of. The fuel pump was leaking, the PO told me it had a 65 'stang engine, so i odered a pump for that, bearing in mind i'm in the U.K. 6 days later, i have a pump, but its wrong. A lot of investigation via th HAMB, and i now know that I have a 62 block with 65 head. and need an early 60's pump, which I have now ordered, and will arrive this week. hopefully.
    I've also found out that I cant fit after market wheels, because the PO that fitted the Explorer rearend didnt narrow it, although he did weld in the axle tubes?! So i'm also on the hunt for a short axle for an Explorer, in the U.K. I'm looking forward to getting my fuel pump and being able to drive it again though. Before I spotted the leak, I had been driving it around Acton for 3 hours, a very busy part of London, stop start traffic, and it didnt miss a beat, which for a 53 year old car, I was very happy about, also very happy that it didnt catch fire....

14. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Would that be a 221 c.i. block then?

15. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

221 or 260 CID?

16. handy_andy_cv64

A 260 is still a fairly peppery engine, when set up right.

17. neil brown

I dont know, can you tell without measuring the bore? Its a bit 'slouchy', but i didnt buy it to race, so i'm happy. Pump arrived today, what great service from Rockauto, ordered monday, arrived in the UK, at my door on Wednesday, and it looks like the right one!! Working long days at the moment, self employed, and didnt realise that I only have 5 days until I go on holiday...alot ot squeeze in, so not sure if ill get the pump on before I go.

18. handy_andy_cv64

Ya know, I'm not sure if they have external markings or differences. It could come down to yarding off a head, measure the bore and stroke.

19. neil brown

Finally got the new pump on, in between the rain showers, and it all works :) I am a little concerned tho, during the process i replaced the hard old rubber fuel line with a piece capable of handling the 'new fuel' no in the UK. During this, i pushed the pipe onto the 'in' fitting on the pump, but the pipe was too long, so I tried to pull it off again, only to have the fitting pull out of the pump! I pressed it back in, but Im a little bit nervous that it may come out again at some point, any thoughts?

20. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

My suggestion would be to put a bit of JB Weld around the fitting, where it meets up against the pump body. If it's really loose, I'd pull the fitting out, swipe some JB Weld around the outside, then push it back in again. JB Weld is supposed to hold up against gasoline. Just my two cents. Hopefully, others will chip in as well.

Joseph