DOREE PART 2- 1972 SQUIRE

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by andrewok1, Jul 19, 2018.

1. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

that's the way I received them, yea super condition , I was shocked when I found them for sale,
    wasn't going to pass them up , they were not cheap ,....

2. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Now the question needs to be ( What five speed is the one to use behind a nice 351C ? ) Andy is going to a lot of effort to build a unique Ranchero so any input that helps him build it bullet proof would be great before he sinks a ton of money into weak parts. My worrys are that if he chooses the wrong trans. he could end up like a friend who melted input shafts in his Mustang five speeds behind a heated up 5.0 engine. Are there any affordable five speeds that are up to the torque a good Cleveland can produce ?

andrewok1 likes this.
  3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I'd speak up, but I know diddly. However, wouldn't a T-56 6-speed (yeah, yeah, I know, but just go with it for now) fit the bill, as the engines it's bolted to are up in the 250-500 HP region? And if so, would he want to use a standard T-5 bellhousing, or go for an SFI-spec shield bellhousing?

andrewok1 likes this.
  4. andrewok1

this is the way to go FOR high torque tolerances .. .....TKO /LOWER TORQUE T-5
    TKO 5-Speed Rear-Wheel Drive Manual Transmission
    Home > Aftermarket > Products > TKO

TREMEC’s TKO series of 5-speed transmissions was first made famous by the 5-liter Mustang movement and has since been fitted into nearly every rear-wheel drive performance application imaginable.

Far and away the most versatile 5-speed on the market, the TKO offers an impressive array of flexibility features – including multiple shifter locations, mounting configurations, gearing options, and speedometer pickups (electric and mechanical).

Serving up 600 lb-ft of torque capacity, along with confidence-inspiring shifts and fuel-saving overdrive, the TKO offers an ideal blend of brute strength and street manners – which may be why it’s the manual transmission behind more boulevard-bruising street machines and sportsman race victories than all of its competitors combined.

[​IMG]
    Introduced in the early 1980's, the T-5 has become a highly evolved, extremely compact and versatile 5-speed. In its rich history, the T-5 has been installed as original equipment in a variety of vehicles, from pick-up trucks and SUV's to the fun to drive 5.0 Mustang.

Today, the T-5 still enjoys life as an original equipment unit in several overseas applications, while continuing to gain popularity in hot rod and performance markets. Dollar-for-dollar, pound-for-pound, the T-5 is the smoothest-shifting, and most reliable manual transmission for moderate horsepower applications.

Easily accepting up to 300 lb-ft of torque, the TREMEC T-5 is not only durable, but offers easy operation and a deep overdrive – making any hot rod, street car, or kit car more enjoyable to drive.

[​IMG]

• Our most compact transmission
    • 300 lb-ft. of torque capacity
    • Extremely lightweight; just 75 lbs. dry!
    • Ideal for moderate horsepower builds where space is limited
    • Excellent drivability with light shift effort, smooth shift quality
    • Exceptional fuel savings with 0.63:1 overdrive
    • A favorite of many weekend cruisers, street-rodders, and kit car enthusiasts

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  5. handy_andy_cv64

One thing's for sure...you'll be able to regear to a steeper ratio out back.

6. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Iam going to run T5 world class,only because Iam to tight to buy TKO...3.70 gears.

7. handy_andy_cv64

I've read in Mustang mags my brother has had that the Doug Nash and World Class T-5s are about equal. Any truth to that?

8. andrewok1

Got me a five speed today , I checked first with our resident guru,before pulling the trigger
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

And this is what this forum is about, not that donut a.. h..l

Hillbilly and andrewok1 like this.
  10. handy_andy_cv64

Hey, Andrew, if that flywheel has a 164-tooth gear, I think you can use a PMGR starter with it. I put one from a 351 W truck setup in Babe, and wired it up using the complete cable harness out of a late '90s 4.0 Exploder. Every thing fit, the cables reached without mods, and it works beautifully.

11. andrewok1

its from a 302- i understand the 302 flywheel is 50 oz, 351-c needs 28 oz .so i will buy new, flywheel,clutch ,pressure-plate as well

12. handy_andy_cv64

Well, you're running a 351C, right? IIRC, the 50 ounce 302 flywheel has a 164-tooth ring gear, so it should work. But, don't forget the separator plate on the engine.

13. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

He will need a 157 tooth 28 oz flywheel to use the bell housing that came with the tranny

andrewok1 likes this.
  14. LSChero

Nice!5.0 bell should work.Search for 28oz 157 flywheel that will accept 11" disc with diaphragm cover.More better.Roller pilot bearing,and
    correct slip yoke.You may have to relocate tranny cross member rearward a schose and shorten twist tube.Town car drive shaft was perfect
    with AOD swap.Are you going to use OE z-bar,or hydraulic linkage?

andrewok1 likes this.
  15. handy_andy_cv64

Ah. I had it mixed up, But if that flywheel was used into the mid-'90s, they would've had PMGR starters for them

andrewok1 likes this.
  16. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

LS, he will have to do a bit of cross-breeding as this trans used a cable to pull the throw out bearing arm forward instead of pushing the arm to the rear like most Z-Bar linkages do. I think I would rig an external slave cylinder to push the arm forward. Like used on F-350 trucks with the ZF series five speeds.

andrewok1 likes this.
  17. handy_andy_cv64

Actually, if it's cable-operated, could a Fox pedal setup be retrofittable? I remember that the clutch pedal had a nice feature, that the cable and pedal adjusted simply by pulling up on the pedal.

andrewok1 likes this.
  18. andrewok1

Not sure OE Z bar or hydraulic sety up ,
    i am open for thoughts of others

19. andrewok1

i found this INFORMATION on MUSTANGS AND MORE SITE ,http://www.mustangsandmore.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/011570.html

The factory 86 & newer 5.0 Mustangs used a 10 1/2" diaghrapm clutch, but they also had 3 dowel pins, that the early flywheels don`t have. When I converted my 78 Fairmont`s 302, which is also 28 oz imbalance, from a C4 to a T5, I used a later 50 oz 10 1/2 flywheel, & just had it rebalanced to the 28 oz imbalance.I took my stock 28 oz flexplate, & a 50 oz flywheel that I bought from a wrecking yard from a 89 Mustang, & took them to a local engine balancing shop. They were able to match them up easily.The stock 86 & newer flywheels are easy to find, and normally quite cheap. I also used a clutch cable from a 78-79 FOX Fairmont, which is adjustable at the bellhousing end, and a 88 bellhousing, along with a stock type clutch

20. LSChero

Great idea Hillbilly!Ill have to root around the yards see if I can find the truck hydraulic clutch system.
    fe61qzosfoxs.gif