Someone explain...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by ForistellFord, Sep 16, 2019.

1. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

From everything I've read, auto workers are the highest paid, least worked, most spoiled union group on the planet. Why are they on strike? They should be happy they have such an easy, high paying job rather than always wanting more.

Someone explain why they aren't doing their jobs today?

2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That was true 60's-90's. Not so much now. I guess they want more when they see the company they work for making record profits? I don't know. I want more too.

3. ForistellFord

Profits mean you get to keep your job longer, I figure. I hope my employer makes a profit.

4. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Says the dude (or self identifies as "Dudette") what be self-employed...

Weren't you writing recently about the tyrannical slave-driving scum-sucking profiteering evil, wicked, mean and nasty SOB you were working for???

TestDummy likes this.
  5. ForistellFord

I'm not self-employed. I work from home. And that employer is a long passed bad memory. Still never resented them for paying me though.

6. 72GTVA

My apologies - didn't mean to impugn anyone besides the referent of the self referral. :D :p

ForistellFord likes this.
  7. 72GTVA

...and thought it was pretty semi-cool when you worked for the pink bunny.

8. ForistellFord

I thought it was cool, for a while. But then, seeing that damn rabbit 5,000 times a day got old quick. But that pink bastard always signed my checks, which was cool. My immediate supervisor, however, was the reason I left. But this is about greedy union workers, not a cool ass cat like me!!!

9. TestDummy

Now it's more like the corrupt union bosses, which, while close, are not the same as the corrupt business executives. The days of the greedy union slug are sort of finished, as I mentioned. I find it funny how some working men bitch about other working men, while greedy CEO's laugh at them both all the way to the bank.

10. ForistellFord

I guess that's why they call me, they call me the working man!!! Yeah, they call me the working man. I guess that's what I am.

I'd just say if you don't like your job, get a new one. You did. Worked out pretty good, too! But then, if you can whine and cry and have other co-workers whine and cry and force the boss to pay more, ok. But that's also a reason I'm not buying no $90k Expedition so I can put caviar on their tables.

11. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

That's how I try to explain politics to people. No matter what your political affiliation, there's greed and corruption on both sides of the aisle. The only difference is that one side puts a "(D)" after their name, and the other side puts an "(R)" after their name. And while we cheer when our candidate wins, and whine when they lose, those in office are happy to never agree to term limits.

Joseph

12. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

There is one other affiliation in politics, namely what I am, the Mugwump. And setting aside what easch end ascribes to the Mugwump, an actual Mugwump, like myself, eschews the priveledge and patronage the rich use in political circles to further their aims.

13. TestDummy

Exactly. Why aren't there more in the middle like us, and whatever the hell Andy is talking about with the Magwhumps.

Basstrix likes this.
  14. ForistellFord

There are more, many more, in the middle. But since middle isn't a party we can't get normal people elected. And hell no I don't want no Mugwumps running anything!!!

15. RANCHEROROB

RANCHEROROB In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

NOT ME !!

Non Religious Right Winger with NO APOLOGIES :D:cool:

plumcolr likes this.
  16. TestDummy

What do you make of the uber-religious right wingers?

17. ForistellFord

...with apologies?

18. TestDummy

You are forgiven, my son.

19. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Getting back to the original question.... The union rank and file say they are not happy with what I think is a increase to 15% for their share of health benefits up from 3%
    I saw this on the news yesterday and I cannot remember the actual rates.
    With that said GM has stopped paying for their health benefits while they are on strike I can't blame them .
    While they are striking they only get $250 /week strike pay.
    Yea there are some good things about unions for the worker but there is a down side with that Cost of products. IE: autos/trucks
    Never worked in a union shop, as sister shop associated with a union had a better pay schedule, I called them out on it and was able to negotiate a better rate for my self

20. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Can I be Forgiven Too??
    In 40 years of being self employed I have never gone on strike, Maybe I should, My Boss is a Slave Driver..