'64 differential

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Gary Clark, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Gary Clark

Gary Clark In Second Gear

I am looking for a differential to put in my '64 since I am upgrading to a V-8. Does anyone know of a newer rear end that will fit the '64. I found an original '65, but the junk yard wants $850 for it.

Thanks, Gary.

2. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

Can you find a rear from a '65 Mustang? There are a lot of similarities between the '64 - '65 Rancheros and the early Mustangs. Where are you located?

Joseph

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Well, a rear axle assembly for V8 won't be cheap anyway, unless it has problems needing repair. But, if you search diligently, you might be able to find a score at a U-Pull-It yard. I'm not sure, though, if late-model 5-lug 9" axles would correctly fit underneath

4. Gary Clark

I am in Idaho. I didn't know if the 6 cylinder rear end could be upgraded to 5 lug. Most junk yards have scarce older parts anymore. Most of them are dealing with 80's and up parts.

5. handy_andy_cv64

Yeah, you have to go looking a lot harder now than thirty, forty or more years ago. But, the rear axles for these cars should all be basically the same for each differential design. What I don't know is which diffs were used in each setup, and what your car's diff size is.

6. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Andy, I seem to have a hazy memory of 1959 full size Fords having a rear axel housing that matches the dimensions for a 65/66 Mustang. Five lugs and a 9" center section that would bolt up directly into the Mustang. You then would have the strength of the nine inch with tons of gear ratio and brake options. If the Mustang rear assembly does indeed fit his Ranchero that would be another option to look for. The Mustang guys snapped up all my spare 59 Fairlane rears in years past so I think it is correct info.

7. Gary Clark

I will attempt to find a reference somewhere.

8. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Well Gary need some questions answered before I can make any recommendations on what rear end from a newer car will work
    What are you skills besides drinkin beer? IE can you weld? Do you pull your own parts? Do you have Tools?

Hillbilly likes this.
  9. Gary Clark

Can't weld, but have a friend who does. I have tools and can pull parts, working on the steering right now, the engine over the winter. I not only drink beer, I brew it.

beerbelly and LSChero like this.
  10. handy_andy_cv64

Beerbelly's your new best pal....

Gary Clark and colnago like this.
  11. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

the best bang for the buck would be a exploder 8,8 swap cheep and easy to find in your self service yard

12. Gary Clark

That's a bit too much for me. Given anything old, a rebuild would probably be needed. I can buy something new for less than 2 large. That may be my best bet.

13. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

My axle info says the full width (drive axles installed) is 58". Subtract 5" for housing width.

The following are also supposed to be 58" wide:

66-77 Bronco 9", 58 inches
    77-81 Granada/Versailles, 58 inches (may actually be 58.5)

14. colnago

Do you have an internet source for your axle info? I'm looking for a rear axle for my '67 F250 (1967, Dana 60, 3.56 diff ratio). Second, less desirable option is to get the 3.56 gear set, and tear into it myself (currently has 4.11).

Joseph

15. Basstrix

I'm at work now, but I'll see if I can find the link to the main source this eve. It focused on ford 9", so may not have info for the 3/4 ton Dana 60 you're looking for.

colnago likes this.
  16. handy_andy_cv64

I'm assuming you're looking for better highway MPGs and lower RPMs at highway speeds; have you considered an overdrive unit, such as a Gear Vendors unit?

17. colnago

Not really. I figured a rear-end swap would be the most economical (or least un-economical, since she doesn't get out much). I found a 3.56 axle on Facebook, but it's from a mid-80s dually, so I'll probably have to swap the internals, and keep my axles and housing. Should be a real knuckle-buster, for sure.

Joseph

18. Basstrix

Setting up used ring/pinion in a different housing will probably result in noise and accelerated wear. It can be tricky enough to get those set when only bearings are replaced. I've not done a 60, but I think you need a case spreader to properly install the carrier assembly.

19. colnago

I just priced a new set at Summit. It will be about $400 for a new set, with bearings, shims, etc. Sounds like I'd be better off just going that route. I take it I'll still need a case spreader? I had her open a few years ago, but I just don't remember the innards (I was irritated, because the PO had used shellac to seal the gasket to both the housing and the cover, so I spent all afternoon under the truck, trying to scrape the gasket remains off the housing with a chisel, and trying to not get it flung into the gears :mad:). I'll try to pull out the manual tonight.

Joseph

20. Gary Clark

Is that 58" from the outside edges of the brake housings, if I am reading you correctly? I can't measure mine right now, need a third hand.