Wanting to install a retro looking radio

Discussion in 'Car and Home Audio' started by 65restomod, Oct 1, 2019.

1. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Surveying the needs of the '65 I see it is in need of a good radio.
    2 owners ago installed a stereo and pulled it when he sold it to the last owner, dash had been hacked up a little to fit the radio.
    PO found a radio dash trim and had the plastic chrome redone so now it looks good but no radio.
    There was a Ford AM radio in the dash when I got it but it is not working.
    I took delivery of the car with 2) 6X9 Road Master RS900 3 way speakers in wooden boxes behind the seat I would like to use them with a FM radio that will fit in the dash.
    I did a quick look up on the speakers and found good and bad comments on them but some technical site say they can handle 400 watts?
    Any ideas on what radio can be used to drive those speakers?
    I prefer not to add door speakers or cut up the kick panels. I know there are some speakers incorporated into new kick panels.

2. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

If you want to drive the speakers at 400W, you'll probably need a stereo with preamp outputs, then wire them up to a dedicated amp that you install behind the seats, next to your speakers. Then find a good audiologist, because you'll probably blow out your ear drums.

If you only want to drive them at more normal listening levels, you'll probably need to find stats on the resistance of the speakers, then find a stereo that is matched. There are only a couple of stereos that I have found that will fit the dash space. You can find them on amazon or eBay. They won't fit the Deluxe radio trim, unless you remove the bar separating the buttons from the display.

Will you wire up the dash speaker at all?

Joseph

Buds 67 likes this.
  3. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Have you looked at Classic Auto Sound? A few members here have used them...

http://classicautosound.com/radios.php

4. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Buds 67 likes this.
  5. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

That would be Richard, he's great to deal with - he's done my 67 Ranchero radio and my 64 Sprint. Both with AM/FM/ Ipod plug. Right around $500, but well worth it.

Buds 67 likes this.
  6. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I can tell you that based on the reviews of both Custom Auto Sound and Retrosound, I went with Retrosound. I know just enough about stereo stuff to be dangerous, and the number you really want to look for is RMS power per channel. It often times seems low, but it's the rating level for the cleanest, most pure power, like high-end home stereo stuff. Anyone that claims "300 watts per channel" for an inexpensive unit is using a very noisy rating system, meant to sell cheap radios to young kids.

Here's the unit I bought, which is designed for early Falcons/Rancheros:
    https://www.retromanufacturing.com/products/1964-66-ford-falcon-laguna-radio?variant=32868511694

Colnago is right- if you have the Deluxe 4-piece plastic dash (like I did), you would have to remove the bar between the display & the buttons. But I removed my dash parts because they were in poor condition, sold them on ebay for $400 and converted to a steel dash with a Mustang gauge cluster. I plugged the Deluxe dash mounting holes with black plastic plugs, and used one of holes for the Retrosound AUX cable, so I can plug in my iPod Shuffle. I also made a "boom tube" out of some 4" ABS pipe and installed some long-throw mini bass speakers in each end, then mounted it under the package tray. It keeps the floor area open for other road trip stuff.

I also installed the Rhino kick panel/speaker set. Very happy with that, but I did decide to move the headlight dimmer switch about 1" closer to the center of the car for easier access.

IMG_7204.JPG 3.5mm plug.JPG IMG_7266.JPG

7. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

BB,

I like your install. It's giving me some ideas about what I can do in my '64.

Joseph

8. 65restomod

Thanks for the info BB but the dash bezel/trim is pretty well near untouched and was just had the plastic rechromed just before I got the '65 so it would be sad to modify it. Plus, I gather it it is hard to find the Deluxe radio trim on good shape.
    I do like the look of your set up though.

9. 65restomod

I am in contact with Richard , I just sent him a photo of the trim he has to see what he has.

10. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

You most likely will have to find a 65 Falcon/Ranchero radio for him to convert - either year (64 or 65) will fit, but the dial faces are different. You might try Falcon Club of America chapter(s) near you, or online.

11. 65restomod

I have a nonworking radio that came in the vehicle.
    As per last owner, 2 owners ago had installed a aftermarket radio and cut up the original trim and dash to fit the radio.
    I think last owner said he found a radio and trim to fit and did a quick install to sell vehicle.
    I sent picture of the old radio and trim.
    He said he might have one

12. 65restomod

I have sent my radio out to Richard from R&B vintage radio about 2 weeks ago telling him to take his time on the conversion.
    Meanwhile dash is in a disassembled state ,( defroster ducts , trim, new glove box liner [old one was repaired several times with tape])
    I do not want to put anything back until the radio is in.
    From Amazon I bought a set of Kenwood 6965s 6x9 for the back and Kenwood 1666s 5 1/2 for the new- speaker ready kick panels (have to wait to paint them in the spring ) all wiring is run for the speakers

13. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

You are going to love Richard's work.

14. Steve B

Steve B In Second Gear

Just got my Retrosound radio and eager to put it in today. Amazed at the way it comes (many pcs) and think its a great setup-so far. Such a difference than the 20lb radios of the 60's... I got the Laguna with a dual cone dash speaker, my 70 Ranchero is going to love it.

beerbelly likes this.
  15. s-sickle

s-sickle In Third Gear

Retro sound has radios to fit alot of different cars.

16. 65restomod

I have installed the rebuilt radio , painted speaker ready kickpanels ,front speakers and installed the the rear 6x9s and fired up the radio and it sounds very good.
    It takes a little getting used to on how to set balance ,bass and fade but once it was set and I'm impressed.
    I read the advice from BB about moving the headlight dimmer switch because of the protrusion of the L speaker panel , but didn't so it's another project

cbolt and pmrphil like this.
  17. AHAMAYfrank

AHAMAYfrank In Second Gear

I am reviving an older thread to ask a question. I have acquired a 1965 Ranchero with what appears to be the standard AM radio. I have been collecting the Deluxe 4-piece dash parts and I am wondering if the radio I have will work with the deluxe dash or I need a Deluxe specific radio?

Thanks, Frank

18. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The standard AM radio works in the Deluxe dash. Deluxe radio knobs will have chrome centers.

Old dash B.jpg

AHAMAYfrank likes this.
  19. 65restomod

IIRC the radio that the previous seller put in non working,
    This is who I used very pleased with the conversion and looks original not on the cheap side but.............
    fit the dash and deluxe trim fit as needed

AHAMAYfrank likes this.
  20. AHAMAYfrank

AHAMAYfrank In Second Gear

Thanks BB

My knobs look a little different than your photo, but I will keep my eyes open for chrome. I am sending the complete dash out to be re finished. I think I will send out the radio to be updated as well.

I don't have a photo hosting site since the loss of free PhotoBucket, or I would post a photo.

Thanks, Frank S.