Another new guy

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by neil brown, May 11, 2019.

1. neil brown

neil brown In Second Gear

I ended up emailing Rockauto, who sent a replacement pump. When I went to fit it, I found engine oil on top of the pump body. It looked like the oil had come along the mounting bolts and out onto the pump. Further investigation revealed that the new pump mounting flange was about 3/8 inch thinner than the old pump, so the bolts were bottoming out before the gasket had a chance to seal. Simple fix, cut the bolts down and fit the new - new pump. Now all good

colnago likes this.
  2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

It's likely the bolts are not the original ones. For whatever reason, factory bolt lengths are on the '1/4' and '3/4' sizes, such as '1 1/4"' or '3 3/4"' whereas aftermarket ones are on the exact inch or half inch. If you had to cut them down by at least 1/4", I'd say the bolts are aftermarket.

3. uk ranchero

uk ranchero In Third Gear

not far from me, i am in Southampton. maybe we will meet at a local show

neil brown likes this.
  4. neil brown

89EE8E2B-E8B7-4B8E-A0A9-E16D467B3A89.jpeg Thanks I’ve finally got rid of those wheels. I bought some second hand 6x14 and 6x15 ARE D’s, spent some time refurbing them, and fitted some white bands, 195 70’s front and 205 65 rear. Looks way better in my opinion. I still have to narrow the back end to centralise the prop in the tunnel so I can lower it a couple all round, but I know have the other ‘short’ axle, so hopefully this winter I’ll get it done.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  5. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Nice look!!

neil brown likes this.
  6. handy_andy_cv64

Normally, I'm a stickler for the factory look of TTDs, but those look good with the understated black color.

7. neil brown

8. handy_andy_cv64

Do they also sell them in custom body color? Or at least prepped for painting?

9. neil brown

I don’t know, prob not, but prep is pretty easy.

10. handy_andy_cv64

Good to know.

11. neil brown

Just back from a quick trip in the US, so took the opportunity to buys some parts. Put the first couple of bits on this afternoon. Nothing huge, but small steps will get it done

Attached Files:

ForistellFord likes this.
  12. neil brown

Little update, I decided to tidy this mess up. I was going to remove it but it appears to be an oil feed for the rocker gear, added for some reason in the past, and as I don’t know what that reasons, I thought it was wise to keep it

Attached Files:

13. neil brown

So I removed the ten or so adapters on the block oil feed, removed the broken gauge, and re plumbed the oil stud feed, but using a rubber grommet to seal it in the rocker. Also splashed a bit of blue paint about.

Attached Files:

14. neil brown

I’ve also done a load of other small stuff, replaced the trans pan with one that has a drain plug, but you don’t seem to be able to buy ‘in case’ sumps with a drain, so I had to buy an ‘in sump’ pan, and weld up the dipstick hole, and more blue paint.

Attached Files:

15. neil brown

Also replaced the tail shaft seal, tho there was a bit of play on the drive shaft, so I suspect it needs a new bearing, no doubt the leak will return. Also fixed the trans vacuum pipe, it had fuel pipe on it, not vacuum pipe, and a hideous amount different adapters on the inlet, so got rid of those.
    The truck didn’t have the kickdown cable connected either, not sure why, maybe because the little clip that held it on the the accelerator linkage seemed to be too small and popped off, but I got over that, not that it’s made a lot of difference to the ‘performance’, but at least it changes down now when you put your foot in it.
    Also fixed the hand brake, which hadn’t worked since I had the truck, just needed adjusting really, don’t know why no one had bothered before, but you need one over here, putting it in park isn’t enough. So that’s my Corona update, I’ve managed to stop some leaks, and make it drive a bit better.

16. handy_andy_cv64

Nice work. Apparently, someone went to the Rube Goldberg School of Plumbing. It's been a long while since my '78 Fairmont, but as I recall, if the lifters (tappets) are hydraulic, the push rods are supposed to allow oiling of the valve train, so I don't see why the guy that installed that, had any need to do so. The tailshaft housing has a bushing, not a bearing, and both the bushing and driveshaft yoke wear down, so you might want to find a better-condition yoke of the same size, and replace it when you replace the bushing.

17. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Is that really a hyd. lifters? I see a adjuster on top of the rocker and if they are mechanical how does the oil feed at the valve cover work to lube the 12 rockers?

18. handy_andy_cv64

You can have adjustable hydraulic rockers, but yeah, you need a spray bar to distribute oil for all of them.

19. neil brown

Apparently there is a rocker tower that does lube the rocker gear, but for some reason this one got added, who am I to reason why. Short of a rebuild, I probably won’t ever know.

20. neil brown

It’s a hollow rocker tower stud, so I assume it feeds inside the rocker shaft, as per a stock one, which feed internally.