Help Needed: Torque Thrust Wheels

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Jakob Zamora, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Jakob Zamora

Jakob Zamora In Second Gear

Hey all,

I just recently inherited an 70 ranchero and I am looking to swap out the current wheels for something more appropriate.
    IMG_1076 copy-min.jpg

I found someone selling these wheels on craigslist, size 15x6 and he is asking $1000 for the set - now my question is: should I just purchase these brand new for less? The seller is telling me that they are "vintage" and not made in China. Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 8.34.02 AM.png
    Bonus question: Should I go wider than 15x6?

Thank you!

2. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Those look like the VN309 TTO wheels with the straight spokes, not the newer VN105 TTD with slightly curved spokes. It should say on the backside of the wheel where they were made. And yes, you can get new VN105's for around $100 each from Summit, Jegs, etc.

I think your 70's era Rancheros can accept wider wheels than the earlier Rancheros.

VN309 TTO.png VN105D TTD.png

3. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I know it is a personal preference on which wheel to get but I like the look of the VN309 TT O
    To me it looks like the center stands out better

pmrphil likes this.
  4. Jakob Zamora

Do you guys think there is a true difference between made in china vs america like the seller is claiming? He is also marking up the product to almost double...

5. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I know a lot of people cry "China crap", but I've got over 30,000 miles on my made-n-China VN105's without any issue. I paid $105 each for them from Summit, with free shipping.

6. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I've got the 309's (Torque Thrust Original) on mine, 4 years plus, no issues at all. Buy them new. Way better idea.

7. Jakob Zamora

Thats great info!

8. Jakob Zamora

Wonder why Summit says they won't fit my car:

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 10.28.32 AM.png

9. DJ Clinton

DJ Clinton In Fourth Gear GOLD MEMBER

Check with a Discount Tire if you have one close. They matched Summit's price when I bought mine last year.

10. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Hello ... 15 x 7 will work, with a fairly close fit at the upper center wheel well on the rear. This with a 'centered' offset, same inside as outside clearance. If you can find wheels with an outward offset you could use much wider wheels in the back.

11. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

Probably because it's based on that "Original Equipment sizing." It probably came with 14x7, and you're looking at 15x7. I get that all of the time on eBay, Amazon, Summit, etc. They're all very conservative, because they don't want to deal with something that doesn't fit. As long as you know what you're doing, you can forget the "doesn't fit" warnings.

Case in point. I'm going to try a Holley 2300 carb on my '64. All of these sites say it won't fit, because it came with an AutoLite 2100 from the factory. I'll have some minor fab work to do, to connect it to the throttle linkage, but I've done it before, and it will work (and fit) fine.

What width rims are you running now? What's the backspace? What's the outer diameter of your tire? Some guys buy one rim and one tire, and do a test fit, then order the other three after they're sure it will work. If you go that route, you might also find that the 15x7 works great in the front, but you have the room for more meat in the rear.

Joseph

12. pmrphil

Most likely because it's either wider, or different backspacing than "factory stock". They call that CYA (cover your a**)

Saff54 likes this.
  13. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

not sure if they are true TTO but if they are they will not fit if you have front disc brakes that is what the D was for on the TTD

14. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

OP picture shows front disc brakes, good catch Carl on why they won't fit.

15. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Check out the wheels by Ridler.
    [​IMG]

16. Huevos

17. Jakob Zamora

Nice! I like those...going to check out the site! Also, is your car lowered or is that stock height? I have no idea if mine has been lowered or not...I want to give it a more angled stance.

18. Huevos

Its lowered, about 2".

19. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I forgot how gorgeous you rig is, and it surprises me that it looks to be stock height, but it's lowered.

20. pmrphil

I've got disc brakes, and TTO's - 15", not 14" though.