Daily Headline

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by TestDummy, Jul 26, 2017.

1. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Not even the first one. A couple died in their Tesla because they couldn't get out. They were calling people for help, when all the had to do was read the owners manual, on the main screen, that was off because they crashed the car. You simply grab the handle and pull up, instead of stabbing the button.

3. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

"The family of an 18-year-old who lost control of his Tesla at 116 miles per hour and crashed into a concrete wall last year blames an explosion of the battery for his death in an “entirely survivable” crash, according to a suit filed this month …"

He crashed into a concrete wall at 116MPH, and that is considered a survivable crash? In that case, Tesla is using some mighty good bumpers and passenger restraints.

Joseph

4. TestDummy

I helped map out his path prior to the crash using Google maps. The fact he got up to 115 mph on that street is amazing in itself. He had balls of steel, now melted.

5. Kiwirancher

Kiwirancher In Fourth Gear

Same thing here in NZ. As soon as the Saudi refinery was attacked our prices went up -- the same day ! What happened to using up what you have in stock then charging for the new higher priced stuff ? Oh , thats's right , that wouldn't be profiteering ! Prices still haven't come down much. I am getting smiles to the gallon [ or litre ] too.
    Denis.

6. Kiwirancher

The post above should have been on the previous page -- -- re gas prices !
    Denis.

TestDummy likes this.
  7. colnago

Do they sell it by the litre in NZ? I remember my folks running into that in Canada 40 years ago, when prices started going up. We were in British Columbia on vacation. My dad thought he was getting quite a deal, until he realized the price was for one litre, instead of one (imperial) gallon.

Joseph

8. colnago

I understand that electric cars have much higher torque and acceleration than gas guzzlers. Have you tested any Teslas for crash-worthiness in your lab?

Joseph

9. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Tell him about the one the NTSB confiscated...

10. Kiwirancher

Hi Joseph , Yeah , we are full metric here. Gotta gas up tonite on the way home from work -- currently around $2.05 / litre. $100 or so should fill the 66's tank.
    Denis.

ForistellFord likes this.
  11. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yeah, didn't someone post that article, on this very thread?

12. TestDummy

We have a Model S, P90, and it is, by far, the fastest thing I've ever driven. When you nail it, you grunt from the acceleration and being shoved into the seat. There is no stopping that. And then you laugh because it's preposterous.

And we've tested them all.

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/tesla-earns-its-first-ever-safety-award-from-iihs-for-model-3

This was my favorite.

13. colnago

Impressive. I'm surprised to see so many small pieces flying all over. That front wheel will never be the same! But the goal is passenger safety, so even though the car is vaporizing around the dummy, it looks like it survived the impact just fine.

Joseph

14. colnago

I used Google to convert that. $100NZD is about $64USD, so that's about what I'm paying in SoCal right now. I'm getting around 13MPG in-town with my 289 engine and a 2BBL AutoLite 2100 carb. If I have time this weekend, I have a Holley 2300 I want to swap on, just because I've never used a Holley. I'm expecting a bit more pep out of the engine, with a bit of a drop in the MPG numbers.

Joseph

15. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

That MPG depends on How heavy the boots are that you are wearing..

16. colnago

I try to be good, I really do! But when that Chevy pulls up next to me, I just gotta spank it! It's the law!

Joseph

Kiwirancher likes this.
  17. Kiwirancher

Damn , it's gone up again . Gassed up last night 95 was $1.30 / litre 50 odd litres ! $115.00 or thereabouts. Oh well , what the hell as we say here. I am going to retire at the end of November so might have to be a little lighter on the throttle myself then , we'll see ! I am running a 625 street demon on a Weiand Street warrior manifold on my 289. Got a trip out of town , only about 1 hours drive each way, beginning of next month so I might check what mileage I am getting then . You can't get out of Gisborne without going over some fairly good hills and it's a fairly winding road so not the most economical of drives but can be fun. I have only recently switched from 91 to 95 , seems to be running better. Joseph , I am surprised you are paying that much for gas -- I thought it was about $ 2.00 something per gallon over there.
    Denis.

18. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

It is (latest price in South-Eastern Virginia was $2.23 per gallon) unless one lives in Mexifornia or one of the People's Republic states...

Kiwirancher likes this.
  19. colnago

It really depends on where you are. It tends to be cheaper on the east coast. But California and Hawaii always get zinged. The other day I read an article that our governor was going to investigate if there was collusion going on to drive up the prices in California. Someone pointed out that we're already paying over $1/gallon in various taxes! It wouldn't be so bad if they actually used those taxes for road projects, like they said they would. Instead, everything seems to be funneled into the state's general fund.

That's why I worry more about miles per gallon than I do about price per gallon. I can actively do something about efficiency, but not about cost.

Joseph

20. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

$2.45 in NE Vermont but it can be $.20 higher on the west side of the state.
    Also it PO's me to no end that when oil barrel prices go down the cost of engine oil seems to stay at the high end and never comes down

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.