Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by thegasman, Oct 21, 2019.

1. thegasman

thegasman In First Gear

Was never a Ford man until last month. Couldn't resist a Ranchero for sale in GREAT condition. Completely original, never restored 1973 Ranchero GT with 400ci and C6 transmission. Original shiny paint with racing stripe down the side still shining and perfect interior ( ginger ). Even has the original AM radio in the dash. Gentleman owned the car for 45 yrs and kept it garaged and had it factory serviced regularly. Has 90,000 miles on it and I had to replace a passenger side kick panel that was cracked. California car with absolutely no rust and you can see why I became a Ford man after 45 yrs of Chevy and Plymouth. You can never find another car/truck like this again in this condition. I should have played the Lotto the day I got this. I might have been a millionaire back then. Alright fellas ( and girls ), let's get this party going !!! Pictures to follow in a day or two.

2. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to pics! Where are you located?

Joseph

3. thegasman

thegasman In First Gear

for some unknown reason, can't send any photos. got to figure this out !! NorCal. bay area.

4. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

Your photo files might be too big. I think the limit is 1MB. If they're any bigger, then you can't post them. I have an app on my phone called Pixlr. It lets me do minor editing of pictures, including resizing them to a lower-res photo (but still quite acceptable photo quality for posting on a computer). I'm sure there are other apps available, if this doesn't work for you.

Joseph

5. thegasman

thegasman In First Gear

finally able to post some pics

Attached Files:

6. thegasman

thegasman In First Gear

another pic

Attached Files:

7. thegasman

thegasman In First Gear

another

Attached Files:

8. thegasman

thegasman In First Gear

another

Attached Files:

9. thegasman

thegasman In First Gear

ano

Attached Files:

10. thegasman

thegasman In First Gear

ano

Attached Files:

11. thegasman

thegasman In First Gear

I'll try and get some pics of original engine compartment tomorrow. Just put in new plugs, wires, and cap and removed points and replaced with Pertronic Ignitor II.

12. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Welcome to site gasman! Super nice 73,my favorite year.

13. Rods N Restos

Rods N Restos In Overdrive

Keep points in glove box with tools to swap it back in.
    Pertronix do fail and will leave you stranded and then you have to get it towed.
    It's ok if you have an Auto Club membership with free towing but if you have to pay it's an inconvenience both with time and money.
    Several people with them have told me how they got stranded and it just died and now they keep a set of points in their glovebox as it's easy to switch back.

14. Rods N Restos

BTW you can post multiple photos at one time just click "Upload a File" button again after the first photo uploads then choose another file and keep adding more.
    Then you can either post as thumbnail as you have done or change them to full size where all can see without clicking on photo to enlarge.

Here is how they look fullsize.
    Mind you mine are screenshots of my original photo cause haven't figured out how to resize on my Galaxy S8 yet Screenshot_20191116-004204_Gallery.jpg

15. thegasman

thegasman In First Gear

Thanks for the points idea. Don't want to pay for towing. And thanks for the photos tip. I'll give it a try when I post some more pics. I was always a chevy or Plymouth man and I was looking for an El Camino on craigslist. People either wanted too, too much for the nice ones or the less expensive ones needed too, too much work. I wanted one with some work to do but not a major overhaul. My engine and transmission pulling days are long behind me now. And then I found this beauty on craigslist. Not too much work to do but enough to keep me busy. I guess I went over to the Dark side as they say with this Ford. Trying to keep it all original as much as I can. Did little things so far. Replaced ignition parts, resprayed the bed, cleaned up the magnum 500 wheels, cleaned up the rear chrome bumper with #0000 steel wool ( looks almost brand new ) . I've got the next 4 or 5 months to do some more minor things to it and by then it will be cruising time. I'll put on my new FORD hat ( ha,ha ) and just drive !

16. Rods N Restos

No actually the Dark side is the other brands.
    Darth Vador didn't drive a Ford.
    We are the Jedi Masters,LOL.

I restore classic automobiles so I work on many makes and models.
    I had a Restoration shop in South Florida from 2001-2007 and large Mopar Clientele due to a friend who was Mopar Mechanic and car Enthusiast so started with painting his 68 Plymouth GTX then it grew from that then doing cars for other Mopar owners as the Mechanic friend did Performance builds and upgrades at his home garage and referred me for body work and paint.
    I have 1 of his builds was in 3 Moar Magazines but I never owned one and he would bust my chops about my Ford's as do all Diehard Ford owners.

I built countless of classic GM's or just painted them so I know them all but I like Gran Torinos and the Rancheros and have 3 projects but they are all restorations.

Your 73 Ranchero GT is in excellent condition for it's age and awesome to see the original survivors in that nice of condition.
    I can only afford projects and to build them myself as paying for it in 1 lump sum is out of the question for one in yours condition even if it needs a little mechanical work.

Enjoy and if you have any questions I have 35 years experience with Gran Torinos which are just the car counterpart of your 73 Ranchero.
    I have had a 74 Ranchero 500 in 1987 but used the parts on a 73 Torino base model I built back then but I know the bodies,electrical,HVAC engines,transmissions, suspension and rear axles so there isn't much I haven't worked on with them and had my hands on every part they are built with so if your ever in need of knowledge this is the place plus I also have a Facebook group for these Ford's if you are on FB
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1968to79FoMoCoClub/
    -Jeff

17. redneck

redneck In First Gear

you have a very awesome original ranchero.

18. thegasman

thegasman In First Gear

redneck - thanks, I got lucky finding an all original one.

19. thegasman

thegasman In First Gear

rods n restos - good to know. I definitely know where to go if I have any questions on the chero or any questions on the dark side ( ha,ha ) . Good knowledge is sometimes hard to find on older cars / trucks.

20. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

Welcome to the club... I prefer the original's slightly better then the resto's~! But seen a few of those I have liked as well. But just something about original, in my opinion!