ORIGIN OF MY 1967 RANCHERO ?

Discussion in 'Ranchero Vin Decoder/Production Numbers' started by bullant, Dec 17, 2019.

1. bullant

bullant In First Gear

• I'm a Ranchero "Virgin" form Aus. , and a new member

I've recently put a deposit on a 67 Ranchero
    Here's what this novice THINKS he knows:
    • 390 4 barrel
    • C6 Auto
    • GT
    • Back to bare metal rebuild (approx 12 months ago ) including motor , gearbox , upholstery , and paint
    • Total rebuild approx $6000 AU
    • Factory air not replaced .....otherwise complete
    • Warranty plate Nos : 7K48Z1234985
    • Body 66B
    • Color M
    • Trim 4G
    • Date 04K
    • DSO 72
    • Axle 1
    • Trans U
    Excuse my ignorance ,..... but what does this all mean??

Badging : Fairlane 500 ( lower passenger side of Tailgate ) , Tasca Ford ( lower drivers side of Tailgate) , 390 front passenger and drivers side quarter panel (in front of wheel arch) , Fairlane (Trim behind wheel arch passenger and drivers side) , GT Badge in centre grill , ' Longhorn badge centre Tailgate and pillar behind both doors .
    • How can i find out whether it really was from a Tasca dealership ?
    • How do I find out when it was shipped from the US ?
    Will send some photo's when i figure it out and get some time. Currently fighting fires to the East ( 80000 hectares )and West (37000 hectares) of my farm.....worst bush fire this country have ever seen....and summer has only just started...

Any help would be appreciated with the car ID....a nice distraction from what's happening on my back doorstep.

Cheers
    Bullant

2. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Not that I want to spend any of your money... but - Marti Auto Works can provide a report which contains all of the information you ask above from Original Ford production data base - and it very well might tell you if it was first delivered to Tasca Ford. See here: https://www.martiauto.com/martireports.cfm

The more you spend the more detail that you get with each report. I have a couple of the high end reports for the ones I have that I knew were quite rare, and I have lesser reports for the ones I knew were rather generic. If the claims that attracted you to the car indicated rarity you might well be served in ordering the more detailed report, and window sticker, and sundry other offerings that they have. I've been pleased with my reports, others here may not be as enchanted.

Good luck with the fires down your way!

bullant likes this.
  3. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

bullant and TestDummy like this.
  4. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

What's a Marti cost nowadays? I think I spent $24 on mine 15 years ago. Turns out it wasn't very rare.

ForistellFord likes this.
  5. 72GTVA

I don't know - I got mine probably about the same time you got yours. I ordered two of the elite reports, framed with window sticker and vin tag, and both of those came in with the 1 of 1 "findings" - the GT is likely a 1 of 1, the 500 probably not so much (more realistically a 1 of 9 all things considered as I don't think the electric clock and bumper guards much of a dividing line of uniqueness). But on two other cars, known plain janes, I ordered the deluxe reports which were good for my needs. I think Marti tends to grasp at straws to get to a 1 of 1 if you spend the money for the elite. Right or not-so-much, depending on your point of view. Happy with mine and the findings...

So... just looking at the site now the elite is $275, the deluxe is $46, the standard is $18.00. If memory serves, 10 or more years ago they were less than half that cost.

I think, if I needed one now, I'd probably order a deluxe initially and then if it proved out to agree with the claims of the seller, I'd then probably upgrade to the elite if I felt a need. JMO, YMMV.

6. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I'm one of two; the other located in the middle of the country.

7. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

And I ain't selling it.

8. bullant

bullant In First Gear

Thanks for the replies fella's. :) ( TestDummy , ForistellFord and 72GTVA )

I think the Elite Report sounds like the go. I'm possibly about to spend $36K AU , on this baby , so proof of providence and origin would be prudent at this stage.

9. 72GTVA

Re:
    • Warranty plate Nos : 7K48Z1234985
    • Body 66B
    • Color M
    • Trim 4G
    • Date 04K
    • DSO 72
    • Axle 1
    • Trans U

Per the VIN:
    7 = Model Year 1967
    K = Kansas City Assembly Plant
    48 = 2 Door Bucket Seat or 2 Door Bench Seat (usually equates to GT)
    Z = 390 4V Engine
    1234985 = sequential body number

Body 66B = Ranchero 2 Door Bucket Seat or 2 Door Bench Seat (usually equates to GT) (47 is 500, 49 is Squire)
    Color M = Wimbleton White
    Trim 4G = Gold vinyl
    Date 04K = 4 October
    DSO 72 = San Jose
    Axle 1 = 3.00:1 Standard (regular - non-locking) axle
    Trans U = C6 Automatic Transmission

The San Jose district special order code seems a little problematic for a Tasca Ford - opposite ends of the country.

bullant likes this.
  10. 72GTVA

Here is a Deluxe Marti Report for my Ranchero GT (Whitefish) which states the dealer that the car was first shipped to amongst other valuable info...

View attachment 4660

bullant likes this.
  11. bullant

bullant In First Gear

Thanks Mr Admin

Wondering if Tasca badge added later as a bit of " bling " !!!?

It's got a bench seat and the trim is red ....very red

Was hoping for LSD , though everything else seems to ring true

Cheers

Bullant

12. bullant

bullant In First Gear

Oh ....I went with Deluxe report (as suggested ) ....up to 4 month wait on Elite due to high demand!!!

13. 72GTVA

It could have been added as "bling". Those sticker/emblems are reproduced and Tasca Ford had a reputation as innovators and purveyors of some very desirable upgrades.

I don't want to guess at or cast aspersions on someone adding one to a car. I would hope that it is just a relatively innocent "hey this would look neat..." or "lets prank the guys down at the show and shine..." informal car exhibit - (judges at real and formal reputable shows such as our own Hillbilly would flush that right out on first glance).

That written and being the cynic that I am, I have to admit the possibility it may have been added with the deliberate attempt to deceive or misrepresent the car.

Not sure why the trim is red - would imagine someone didn't like the "gold" at some point and changed it - but your Marti Report when you receive it should reveal what Ford built. A lot of things happen to these cars in the 52 years since they were originally built.

What is the referent to LSD? - I'm slow this morning.

14. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

What is the referent to LSD? - I'm slow this morning.

I'm guessing either limited slip differential or an optional mood enhancer...

Kiwirancher likes this.
  15. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Don't they both work the same??? ^^^^^ ;)

16. Kiwirancher

Kiwirancher In Fourth Gear

Hi from NZ bull ant. Is that the Ranchero that is advertised in the December issue of Cruisin mag? If so it looks good , top money but that is at least what I would want for my 66 if I ever sold it. I imported mine from Ohio but don’t know any history for it in the states. Good luck on the purchase.
    Denis.

17. bullant

bullant In First Gear

LSD - Yep , limited slip diff as apposed to standard.

With regards to COLOR OF TRIM it was only recently totally re-upholstered with car rebuild. it was apparently a Leopard skin :eek: type pattern before that. I gather it has had 3 owners ( at least ) since being in Aus. Yet to fine tune import date into country. I came across it by mistake.... it was in a display room of a place I get my early Ford parts from in Melbourne , Victoria. I have a 1959 Star model Mainline Utility ( pickup ) and a 1953 Customline Ambulance ( used to be our local ambo ) . The Mainline about 4 months off being completed (total nut and bolt rebuild) and was getting some decal parts , when I saw the Ranchero was being sold on behalf of a client of the parts place ( deceased estate ) . I DIDN'T GO THERE TO BUY A CAR.....JUST SOME PARTS o_O whoops!!!!
    It was advertised at $39K ( $AU )
    Not sure if that's expensive or not , in NZ or the States , but the finish is spot on and the ride was as smooth as .... so I made an offer of $ 36K AU and after a few days it was accepted . Now I have to tell the wife.....any suggestions welcome...

18. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Track shoes. And make sure nothing heavy is within her easy reach.

19. 72GTVA

Getting her a pricey gift might be helpful - otherwise, ensure the doghouse is clean and weather tight.

Edited to add: I had quite a few "comic" suggestions at the ready but in the world as it is now I'll refrain from posting things that are likely to evoke multiple threats for everything under the sun imaginable. Sad world we be in.