1974 wiper wiring

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by G_Gruhn, Jan 13, 2020.

1. G_Gruhn

G_Gruhn In First Gear

So I had to rewrite my car, fuse block was cracked in half and multiple wires were completely turned into powder, I figured out everything except these darn wipers, here is what I have so far
    All colors from motor and wiper trans are connected correctly to the switch, I have power going to the black wire with green hashes, don’t currently have the washer connected and I have an extra wire that is black or brown with what looks to be a yellow stripe, and when I put a lightbulb on it the wipers move very slowly. Help.

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I have a set of '74 wiring diagrams, but they're packed in a box because I just moved. If you can wait a day or two, I'll be looking through the boxes that those diagrams ended up in, and I'll see if I can get you some answers.

3. G_Gruhn

G_Gruhn In First Gear

Thank you, I am also looking for what voltage it where when the wipers are on 1, 2, and going to park so I can wire it from scratch, diagrams aren’t helping too much.

4. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Hey Garrett. First, is it the original wiper motor? There’s usually a date stamp on it.
    If you haven’t found them already here’s the link to some wiring diagrams. www.ranchero.us/forum/index.php?threads/72-76-wiring-diagrams.9454/

5. G_Gruhn

G_Gruhn In First Gear

No, it is a Remanufactured motor that my very trusted shop found for me, completely identical, I just need Someone to give me what wires have voltage at what settings on the switch for example what wires have voltage on speed one, speed two, and how long does the park go on for.

6. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

If I have the chance to do it tomorrow, I can test the voltages for you, but Andy does always come in clutch with his diagrams.

7. G_Gruhn

G_Gruhn In First Gear

Thank you, I have used all the possible diagrams and still nothing, I’m going to do more testing tomorrow

8. handy_andy_cv64

The problem with doing it this way is that voltages don't tell you if the function they control, will in fact work, not to mention, there are no published pin voltage charts, so who is to say if the voltage you find (or don't find) is correct? Having the diagram itself will allow you to see which wires are supposed to have voltages, and which ones come together at ground.

9. G_Gruhn

G_Gruhn In First Gear

My problem is I can’t find any diagrams for my 10 pin switch and the wipers don’t work when I have it wired like the 9 pin is

10. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Maybe this?
    Wiper Wiring.jpg

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  11. handy_andy_cv64

If you have a 9-pin switch, you have the incorrect switch. Parking wipers and parking wipers with intermittent speed use a 10-pin switch, but the standard 2-speed only uses a 7-pin switch.

12. G_Gruhn

G_Gruhn In First Gear

I do have a 10 pin switch, but all the diagrams I have found are for the 9 pin

13. handy_andy_cv64

The diagram 72GTVA posted show 10-pin switches. That should help you better. The diagram is followable, and please read the two notes on the right side.

14. G_Gruhn

G_Gruhn In First Gear

i figured out, my switch is busted, its not sending voltage out to some of the wires, i opened it up and everything looks fine.

15. handy_andy_cv64

Sounds like the wiper or the pins are worn. I'd give the wiper a very slight bend, put it back together, then bench-test the switch to see if you get continuity through it.