Hello from the UK

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by jonnie, Feb 16, 2020.

1. jonnie

jonnie In Second Gear

Hi I’m in the UK & just scratched an itch & bought myself a ‘65 V8
    It’s all good & roadworthy, there are a few things to do but nothing major. it is a fresh import to the UK & has motorsport bits all over the engine and a race demon carb ... it has a wicked throttle response!
    There’s a blanking plug where the oil pressure switch should be and I need to sort this, does anyone know the thread size for this?
    thanks in advance for any help,
    Jon

Attached Files:

2. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

I believe it is 1/8" NPT. Does it have an oil pressure gauge plugged in somewhere else?

3. jonnie

jonnie In Second Gear

Thanks for the reply, no it doesn’t! It has an aftermarket gauge under the dash and a wire hanging where I presume the switch should be!

4. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Typical aftermarket oil pressure gauges are a tube type, a long copper or plastic tube with compression fittings either end to connect such as the one in this link:

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-SP0F00...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00UZ9HEJ6

(Not recommending the item in the link, just providing an example. I would imagine this would be common pretty much world wide)...

Are you certain it is a wire or just a hollow plastic tube?

5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The problem with a pressure-tube type is whether it has a nylon, copper or steel tube. You DO NOT want nylon. But, if yours is an electric sender type, all the better, as you don't risk oil leaks inside. Not fun to clean up, I'm telling you. And if you can source an extender that screws into the block, and the sender screws into it, all the better. I'll see about getting a pic of it, if I have one on my laptop.

6. jonnie

jonnie In Second Gear

Thank you for the replies, I borrowed a pressure testing kit today & found the right thread & that the pressure is good.
    It’s an electric gauge & I think we have a sensor that will fit with the right adaptor.
    The whole dash is wrong with wood trim & a pressure gauge but I intend to change all this & try to put most of it back to original.

7. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

If there was a factory gauge package for those, it'll be an electric one. I find it interesting that, for the majority of new members, the rigs they bring to the table center around my birth year, 1965.

8. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I put a "t" fitting on mine, with the idiot lite sender on one leg and a good electric gauge type sender on the other. Liked the idea of the idiot light if I was not paying attention to the gauge.

The Wrench likes this.
  9. jonnie

jonnie In Second Gear

I have a pressure sensor with two connections, one for the gauge and one for a light, now I know the thread size I can get an adaptor and get it fitted.
    With regard to the ‘65 model, I considered a ‘62,a 66 & 69 but I just love the shape of the ‘65.! Also the one I bought has never been welded and has no rot, I just have to seal it all up fairly soon to protect it from our lovely English weather!!

10. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Weather with which you have been getting well and truly hammered lately, from what I've read.

11. jonnie

jonnie In Second Gear

Rain, rain & more rain with a bit of wind thrown in for good measure.!
    I just want to get the underneath of the truck sealed up to stop corrosion before it starts.! I think I’m going to use colour coded raptor as it seems to be fairly tough.

12. neil brown

neil brown In Second Gear

Hi Jon,truck looks nice in your very small pic, got any more?

13. jonnie

jonnie In Second Gear

B4BB5027-FABD-4F84-A891-FF13838ED957.jpeg hi Neil,
    Good to hear from another UK owner, do you have any trouble getting parts? If you know of any good UK suppliers it would be handy to know. I think I may have to rebuild mu steering box at some point!
    as for pictures, I don’t have many more but here’s one..
    cheers,
    Jon

14. neil brown

neil brown In Second Gear

That looks very nice Jon, if you dont mind me asking, how much was it?
    I now buy all my parts for my truck from Rockauto in the states, 3 day delivery, to your door, customs paid, and usually far cheaper than anyone in the UK. Amogst the parts ive bought was a petrol pump that turned out to be faulty. I contacted them via their 'return parts' link, replacemnet pump in 3 days, no questions, and I didnt have to return the faulty one.

15. jonnie

jonnie In Second Gear

Thank you, I’m pleased with it so far. Thanks for the info, I’ll look them up.

16. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

Nice Car... welcome to the blog

17. Saff54

Saff54 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Welcome!

18. uk ranchero

uk ranchero In Third Gear

i get nearly all my stuff from the USA usually cheaper and quicker just double check you order the right bit.

19. jonnie

jonnie In Second Gear

Thank you for all the replies & info.
    I've ordered some new shocks from Rock auto, great price & they should be here tomorrow.!
    My truck had a small wood rimmed steering wheel which I’ve changed for a proper one. It has also had a wood trim put on the dash & non original dials. I have an instrument cluster &want to change the wood to original trim, maybe I need to advertise in the wanted section here?
    I’d prefer second hand as I feel it would look better on my dash.

Attached Files: