79 wiring diagram (color)

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Ranchero 1979, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Ranchero 1979

Ranchero 1979 In Second Gear

Moving on from while I look for a cheap Windsor distributor. Trying to get the power seat out and can not get rear bolt out without raising the power seat or move it forward. The wiring on this thing is a real mess. Some one took out part of the old fuse box and put in a small panel. I am not going to fix the Ranchero just want the seat. If i can hot wire it to move it an inch or so I can get the bolt out.

2. Freestyle Don

Freestyle Don In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

I had a similar problem on my`79. The seat was stuck, had got rusty. Took me the better part of a day, to get those rear bolts out.. Used all sorts of modified tools. Cut down long wrenches into short etc. New bolts went back in with a smidge of Anti-seeze.

3. thebruins

thebruins In Third Gear

here's a page from the 1979 shop manual and one from the wiring manual. hope it helps

shopseats.png wiringseats.png

rancheromac likes this.
  4. Ranchero 1979

Sorry I missed you wiring diagram early, this will help me hot wire it. Thanks

5. 1978GT

1978GT In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Two ways to remove seats:

Use a gear wrench (9/16") with a flex head to remove the bolts/nuts. The flex head allows you to match the angle of the rear mounts.

or

First remove the seat from the track (power or manual). Feel for 4 bolts with 3/8" hex heads running upward - they should be accessible regardless of seat position. Best tool for them is a straight gear wrench.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  6. Ranchero 1979

I got them out, only broke off one. Thanks