Buying seat covers???

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Ranchero 1979, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Ranchero 1979

Ranchero 1979 In Second Gear

I am in the buying stage for my 1979 Ranchero spit bench seat. I fount the cover on the Mustangsmarket.net #3724 w#3440 inserts. Dearborneclassics.com #90-85752-1. My question, is one better than the other or is there better ones out there? I have learned to not always but the least expensive one. I have a;ready striped, wire brushed and now will paint with POR 15. Have not gotten all the power seat working yet, but not to concerned as long is goes forward and back. Thanks for any input Howard

2. Mick13

Mick13 In Second Gear

I've seen cover seats on Ebay, but are they good ? What are the prices for made recover them in a small workshop ? I've to renew them on my 78 also, but reusholeting them is real expensive here in France

3. Ranchero 1979

The only ones on eBay refer back to these two. You are right about being expensive. Two shop told me the cheapest way was to order a kit.

4. 1978GT

1978GT In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I purchased the kit from Mustang Market (now $400 on Ebay) several years ago. It is good quality.

My original seats did not have headrests. I pulled seats with headrests from a junkyard Cougar, then took them to a local trim shop with the kit. For about $250 they did a professional job which I could not have done with manual hog ring pliers.

If you have headrests, or plan to add them, make sure to get extra material for them. MM sent me extra material for no charge.

5. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

I got mine from Dearborne (ECKLER/MACs), the complete interior kit. Seat Covers (came with headrest covers), door panels, carpet, headliner, etc.

assembly19.jpg

6. Ranchero 1979

They look like a good fit, thanks

PonyExpressRider likes this.
  7. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

A member of the Car Club I belong to does his own interiors... he disassembled the seat, cleaned/treated/painted the frame, re-padded and installed the new cover. He also helped with the headliner, and door panels! This type of help was key to the success of my restoration.