Chasing Vibration

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Sheriff, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Sheriff

Sheriff In Second Gear

I’ve had an engine vibration since I purchased the 67 so I’m determined to fix it. The car has a 5.0 from an 87 mustang it had a 28oz balancer so thu research I learned it should have been a 50oz balancer. I made this change and saw some improvement but it’s still there. So I now moved to the flexplate

2. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

It sounds you're on the right track.

3. Sheriff

Sheriff In Second Gear

I hope so but as usual these thing grow. So even though the engine runs great other than the vibration I’m pulling it and going to clean her up, paint her giver some chrome and a few other things. 60E019D6-35A7-48BB-AF0F-B35E61C8EE8A.jpeg

4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yeah. Sounds like someone got an incomplete shortblock/longblock and didn't know about the changes in balance. When you have the trans out, confirm that the torque converter pilot and the crankshaft pilot hole are not mismatched, worn excessively, etc., and slip a bit of grease on the pilot before mating them back again.

5. Sheriff

Sheriff In Second Gear

Oddly enough I got the original 289 in the deal and it’s missing the balancer and flexplate. In my line of work we call that a clue.

Kiwirancher, pmrphil and beerbelly like this.
  6. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Since you have it out... gauge the bearings/journals to verify you didn't have any detrimental effects from the imbalance of the harmonic balancer. Just a thought...

7. Sheriff

Sheriff In Second Gear

On it thanks

8. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Thought you might be, but just HAD to do my Captain Obvious impersonation.

9. Sheriff

Sheriff In Second Gear

.002 clearance I think we’re ok there thanks for the thought.

10. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Sounds good and rock on!

11. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Yep, you hit the nail on the head. The flexplate also has to match the damper (50.4 oz. in.) and they're available in both the 157 and 164 tooth count, with matching converter bolt patterns as well. Sounds like you've got this covered pretty well. Sharp lookin' piece, from what I can see. :D

12. Sheriff

Sheriff In Second Gear

Covid 19 has been good for the Ranchero project, Flexplate installed now its dress up time before I put the engine back in. Hers a few before and afters.

Attached Files:

Russ and beerbelly like this.
  13. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I've got that same intake on my 289. It's kinda cool to see the Ford logo on an aluminum manifold.

Sheriff likes this.
  14. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

Yep the conrona virus is going to be good for all those car guys that never had any time. Now the cars will be all done in the summer just hoping that we will be able to do a few shows. By the way beautiful 67!

Sheriff likes this.
  15. Kiwirancher

Kiwirancher In Fourth Gear

Fixed a small water leak on mine yesterday but can’t do much else as all the shops are closed . Denis.

Sheriff likes this.
  16. Sheriff

Sheriff In Second Gear

Going back together, I found some cracks in the exhaust manifolds I brazed them I think they will hold. E8E01993-1701-4068-8D7B-8A838EAB10C1.jpeg AAC21BF6-57FF-45B6-89AC-3C6E1EFDAE2B.jpeg

17. Sheriff

Sheriff In Second Gear

Vibration gone like the wind! If I did this right you can check it out here. Now working on putting new fuse block in and re wire. https://youtu.be/Nw9fRffUuKU

LSChero and pmrphil like this.