Seat belts

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by stabmasterarson, Apr 28, 2020.

1. stabmasterarson

stabmasterarson In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

I have a 72 with lap belts, I've done some work to the motor, and there's a definite power increase, so much so that I think I should have some shoulder belts lol. I can see where the shoulder belts would bolt on the top and where the other end would connect to the lap belt. Can anyone recommend a place that sells stock type shoulder belts?

2. Freestyle Don

Freestyle Don In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

3. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

Even if you can get them, those lap/shoulder belt combinations are pretty awful to use and there is no retractor in the shoulder belts.

I once converted my similar '75 GT to the newer 77'-78' (I think) belt combination which replace the lap belt floor mounted retractors with a dual set for both lap and shoulder.

Much later, while repainting the Ranchero, I had my body man install a set of '72 Cadillac DeVille leather seats with built in lap/shoulder belts - a far better solution.

Lincolnut likes this.
  4. stabmasterarson

I kind of like the two belt system just because it's different than a modern car. But I can see how annoying it would be if the shoulder isn't retractable. Did they ever make a retractable shoulder only belt that I could bolt on? I bet those caddy seats look good! I would love to see a picture!

5. rfinnegan

rfinnegan In Fourth Gear

I bought a set from Juliano's for my 71. https://www.julianos.com/Shoulder-Belts-s/2.htm
    They make a retractable shoulder belt that was a simple install into the existing holes/location on the 71 (no idea why they didn't think f this in the 70s) .

LSChero likes this.
  6. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

7. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

When I had my '74, I put belts from a '75 Elite I parted out, but as with Babe's belts, there wasn't very much slack for the fatso I am. I finally found out Ford gives extenders as part of a lawsuit, so I got one, and now, using it with Babe's belt is much more comfortable.

8. stabmasterarson

Darn it, I searched through everyone's suggestions and I still can't find a retractable shoulder ONLY belt that will work with my lap belt. Seatbelt planet sells the two belt system I was originally after but now Clark has me worried about the non-retractableness of the shoulder portion. It's a tough call, I like the idea of having unique seatbelts it's part of the coolness of owning a classic car but not if it's super annoying!

9. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

On my 69, it came with the factory lap belt - Shoulder belt system. When I took the car apart the belts were just down right nasty. So when It was time to get to drive her, I just through in a standard retractable Y belt. Worked great.

When I got ready to have my original belts redone, I used Python Restorations (http://pythonrestoration.com/ ) They also carry completed sets. belts1.jpg

10. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

I use stock seat belts.Only connect shoulder belt when road trip to cali to keep from getting pulled over by CHP.When adjusted,its not all that uncomfortable,retractable style would be a upgrade.Look for belts on 72/73 rancheros if you decide on stock seat belts.
    SAM_4715.JPG

11. handy_andy_cv64

There may be a solution: using sedan rear seat belt retractors for the shoulder belts. The only downside is they won't have trim covers.

12. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

13. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

That's what I originally used... until I had the original belts restored.

14. stabmasterarson

15. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

My thought was since I drive the car to more than just shows and stuff it made sense to have a modern style shoulder harness system. I get the car up on the interstate and don't want to worry, you know what with all the crappy drivers and all.

16. stabmasterarson

That would work too! I would just have to find a way to put the proper buckle end on it

17. handy_andy_cv64

That would have to be done by a seat belt company, or, if you can find one locally, an upholsterer. Just provide the female buckle and anchor piece with an approximate belt length.