67 Headlights

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Mike67, May 8, 2020.

1. Mike67

Mike67 In First Gear

Hi

Please can someone tell me what headlight does what
    Ive got the double ones
    Twin filament bulb in top, single in lower

is Top , sidelight and dipped beam and the lower one main beam or something else
    Also is there an easy way to change them, ive just had to take my front bumper off as couldn't get the surround off as screws were tight
    Then spent ages trying to get them back on cos I found getting the spring on and the bezel back over the light a real pain, whats the secret

Cheers

2. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Double filament was low beam and the second filament lit along with the other bulb for high beam.

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Your '67 was built one year before changes in U.S. car safety laws were passed, including for lighting (FMVSS 108). So there's no side light feature, unless built into the fenders at bumper level. The aiming of the headlights should give you enough side illumination, when properly adjusted. Also, if you desire better light levels from the headlights, round bulbs with halogen elements are still available.

4. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Top one is your standard low beam, (regular driving), both lights are on when using "high beams".

5. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

All you should have to do is remove the light trim, the chrome surrounding the bulb itself, and the light bulb should come out. I normally also remove my bezels, the stainless part that goes around both the upper and lower head lights, when I am changing bulbs. It may have to come off before the light bulb trim piece, I just don't remember off the top of my head.

6. Mike67

Mike67 In First Gear

Thanks for the reply’s
    Just to clarify
    The light switch in the car has two positions
    The first just puts on the tail lights
    The second position lights the top light
    And the switch on the floor swaps this between low and high beam
    High beam being the bottom light and the second filament in the top light

7. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Your assumption is correct with one difference
    Head light position
    Pushed in = Off
    Position 1= Tail lights and front park lights On
    position 2= Tail lights on, head light low beams on, park lights off
    Press floor switch= all 4 head lights are on Note: indicator on inst. cluster will illuminate when high beams are on
    Fed regulation required parking lights to come on with headlights in late '69 or '70

If you want to have park lights on with headlights see below

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-fo...ights-are-on.719232/#lg=thread-719232&slide=0

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    pmrphil likes this.
  8. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

About your front marker lights... do the turn signals work both front and back?

9. Mike67

Mike67 In First Gear

Ah Getting it
    think we are loosing something in translation
    we call park lights, side lights over here, Have no idea why cos they are not on the side, they are front facing low wattage to make car visible when parked
    So where are the park lights located as headlights are sealed units as far as I can see they work as below
    Bottom beam is single filament for high beam
    Top has One filament for Low beam and one filament for High beam ?

or is the Top light, parking and low beam, which would seem to make more sense from the above

edit - now completely confused
    RockAuto say bottom light is 50W and top light is 60W and 37.5W so probably the headlights
    Googled front parking lights and they came back showing Orange lenses, so i presume they are the Indicators/Turn Signal, are they also the park lights ?

I did notice yesterday when i was connecting the lights up, one of the indicators/turn signals was on, i put this down to a bad earth on the headlight circuit and carried on to the headlights didn't even consider that it might have been correct and it was the parking lights were on
    we have separate side lights in the UK, and they have to be white.

Indicators work fine, sorry, turn signals, don't think It has front marker lights
    translations
    Side lights = park lights
    indicators = turn signals

Thanks
    Mike

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  10. Mike67

Mike67 In First Gear

yep
    turn signals are fine
    was wondering why the question was asked, i now think thay may the park lights too !!

Thanks

11. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Googled front parking lights and they came back showing Orange lenses, so i presume they are the Indicators/Turn Signal, are they also the park lights ?

Thanks
    Mike[/QUOTE]
    yes those are Park lamps in the states, we did/do not have City/park lamps in the headlamp housing
    the orange lamps have dual filament bulbs low watt for "park" lamps and high watt for indicator.
    depending on headlamp switch they may or may not stay on with headlamps. They will be one when you pull out the switch one click. Originally they did not stay on with headlamps but later on they did so it depends on what head lamp switch the car has some of the aftermarket replacements will be wired for them to stay on.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  12. Mike67

Mike67 In First Gear

Thanks every one
    Got it now

Now onto back lights
    Is the white lense in the middle for the turn/signal or reversing light
    Mine had two bulbs wired in parallel both with dual filament ie stop and tail light
    And an orange bulb with is the turn signal

It’s possible mine has been rewired for the UK

13. Mike67

Mike67 In First Gear

14. 5.0 Chero

yes it has been modified for UK the clear lense it backup lamp

15. Mike67

Mike67 In First Gear

Thought so
    What is the correct us operation

16. 5.0 Chero

Reverse lamp

17. handy_andy_cv64

White-reverse
    Red- dual filament, same as front; filament one is marker, filament 2 is brake/turn/four-way flashers

18. Mike67

Mike67 In First Gear

Cool, so brake light flashes when turning on both top and bottom bulbs

Thanks everyone

19. handy_andy_cv64

Yes, both should flash with turn signal on, whether brakes are applied or not. Essentially, when you turn on the turn signal on one side, it blocks brake lamp power for that side, so that it can't interfere with turn signal operation.

20. davis

davis In Maximum Overdrive

your headlight harness and bulbs should match. 3-prong on top and 2-prong for bottom bulbs. i had to remove my bent up bezels to get to the headlight ring. there are two small screws that will fall and fly away the second they can. the retaining spring hooks towards the top to the bulb housing. its the biggest pain in the ass to reinstall. i found that using a J hook and small vise grips works to pull the spring back in to hook the ring. you can also lessen the distance to pull that spring forward by adjusting the headlight adjuster screws, but then you will have to readjust the bulbs when it gets fully seated by the trim ring. its a rather bad design overall in my opinion. an alternative to the J hook setup would be a proper tool like an ice pick with a small hook at the end. that will work a lot faster.