Brake lines

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by RickMc, May 22, 2020.

1. RickMc

RickMc In Third Gear

Need a brake line kit for a 78 Ranchero. I found a kit for 2 door Thunderbird, does anyone know if its a match? Or does 72-76 work with the 77-79 Rancheros?
    I appreciate the help.

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Front or rear? The front, from the proportioning valve forward, will be the same; rear of the Ranchero is same as the LTD II wagon, so is likely not 100% the same. If it is, I'd be surprised.

3. RickMc

RickMc In Third Gear

Looking for rear brake lines. What about 72-76 rancheros? Are lines the the same?

4. handy_andy_cv64

'72-'76 are likely to be the same. Have you tried the obsolete parts sellers, as well as custom dismantlers? I'm trying to remember the name of the Cougar parts place, there's always the possibility they may have a Cougar Villager wagon they're tearing apart. But, for the most part, wagons and Rancheros of the same model year have parts commonality out back.

5. RickMc

RickMc In Third Gear

Trying to stay with new parts if I can, then go used when out of options. I will run down these leads, thanks for the help. More to come.

6. handy_andy_cv64

You're welcome.

7. uk ranchero

uk ranchero In Third Gear

Dearbourn classics

8. stabmasterarson

stabmasterarson In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

Couldn't you just get a roll of steel brake line and make your own? I would just remove my old line and bend the new line to match. You'll need a set of benders. If you use electrical tape and tape it to the old line as you go it might help. Once it's relatively similiar, cut the tape off and install the new line. I'm a plumber and I've used that technique for waterline systems in the past.

9. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That's what I've done in the past. A warning, tho: Stainless brake line is difficult at best to work and flare. I suggest cunifer or equivalent; it is DOT approved. And almost as rust resistant as stainless.

10. handy_andy_cv64

X2 on Stab's technique. Fortunately, brake line is very small, so bending it is easier; I hand bent lines for a '55 Star Chief rear axle with no problem.

11. RickMc

RickMc In Third Gear

Was hoping for a easy way out. I will try this if I can not find any kits.Thanks for the tip,

12. RickMc

RickMc In Third Gear

Ill check into this material, thanks for the help.

13. RickMc

RickMc In Third Gear

Thanks again.

14. RickMc

RickMc In Third Gear

Found this guy, rebuilds proportioning valves and carbs. Here"s the link if anyone is interested-https://oldautorestorations.com/
    When mine is back Ill share how it went.

15. RickMc

RickMc In Third Gear

Thanks Ill check them out.

16. handy_andy_cv64

I'll have to look if I kept my old prop valve, I wouldn't mind a mild rebuild on it and have it on the shelf.

17. 1978GT

1978GT In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I installed the 77-79 Thunderbird kit from Classic Tube, knowing the line from the prop valve to the rear splitter hose would be different due to wheelbase. Other six lines fit perfectly and are reinforced exactly like OEM.

18. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

19. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That must be pretty old. It's been available at a reasonable price for a while. It's available on amazon for about $0.80/ft in 25 ft lengths.

20. RickMc

RickMc In Third Gear

Sending off tomorrow. he has a week turn around. Ill let you know how it turns out.