69 R code project

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by Dyno, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

Here's a pic from when I first bought car, all fits.
    Hopefully rocker stands come in tomorrow and I can get engine installed this weekend, hopefully.
    Then figure out where to mount a overflow bottle for radiator.
    BB here's an engine for ya from a few years back Pro mod guys wanted dyno'd good thing bearings were checked first, they were shot, guys swore everything was good to go!

Attached Files:

2. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yikes! Lotsa aluminum there- what is it?

3. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

LOL!!! I was being tongue in cheek about the washer bottle... I almost didn't put one in mine.

Because the overflow tube is to the passenger side, my overflow bottle sits in front of the Radiator, behind the grill. Tight fit, but it works. Not really anywhere to mount it on that side.

4. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

BB details a bit foggy either 622 or 632 BBC based about 1400hp naturally aspirated then start throwing N2O at it usually 300 shot under each carb and then the fogger good for another 600. It was a little under powered , but it was their combo. Lots of aluminum parts on outside, but inside Titanium valves , retainers, connecting rods. All those get replaced about every 50- 60 runs.

PER Have to have it for inspection in Pa. I was wondering about putting one in front. May see where else I think might work once everything is in there..

Parts didn't show up so thinking install engine then have to put rockers in while in car, easier to adjust on stand , oh well.

PonyExpressRider likes this.
  5. PonyExpressRider

This was the only place I could find for it... The battery mount eats up a lot of space on that side. overflow.jpg

6. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

That's an idea for location. Space is tight all over in these engine compartments with an Fe in there.
    Had a fun filled Saturday here. Mounting exhaust manifolds one side went on no issue other side wasn't tapped all the way, bolts bottomed out prior to touching exhaust. Thought no big deal go to tool box get a tap it won't go looked a little harder and see STI on it doh this ones for helicoils. Run to hardware store they don't have forgot keys for shop hit Homeypo they are out so harbor freight and buy a complete set. Tapped holes and all fit well.
    Engine off stand time to change cam plug as it was in backwards, Previous builder installed like a normal core plug, on the Fe it goes cup in, otherwise cam eats thru and causes oil leak. Hint on this is cam gets locked up on thrust plate, something is wrong.
    Long day as engine fought the whole way back in to spot wiggling and jiggling eureka can get trans bolt in each side. Roll in under to recheck for line up of flexplate to converter damn thing went in with bolt thru drain plug access. Take bolts out pull engine far enough forward move everything for line up finally goes and is lined up . Bolt it in place! BEER ME !!!!
    Now to finish up, need more beer !

Attached Files:

7. beerbelly

Good catch, and glad it ended well. Onward & upward.

need more beer !

Here ya go:
    Widmer 8-FINAL.JPG

8. PonyExpressRider

9. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The most important thing I learned about Ford's? Orient the converter studs and flexplate stud holes at 3/6/9/12 o'clock, you'll never go wrong! Enjoy that frosty one....

10. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

Thanks for the beers guys ! Cheers !
    Andy agree with ya, 6 is position I usually do as you can see the lineup before all bolted. All I can figure is getting exhaust around bell housing drug flexplate across converter and moved it. Always check alignment before bolting up complete. Factory cobra jet manifold wraps/craddels around ear of bellhousing on passenger side very tight fit getting it in.
    Rocker stands came in and swapped them over tonight. Used some old STP as an assembly lube , hate dry parts together in bearings or valve train. Thinking of pulling end stands back off as I don't like the plugs in shafts with nothing but press fit keeping them there, nice little roll pin would work.

11. handy_andy_cv64

Oh, I know about alignment...I once bent a flexplate on a Mustang 2.3L, I think the same thing happened. I was sure I had it lined up, and the ring gear caught one of the studs, turned the converter.

12. PonyExpressRider

Factory cobra jet manifold wraps/craddels around ear of bellhousing on passenger side very tight fit getting it in.

I had to jack the right side of the block up to get my factory manifold in. Hopefully you already have the starter in place.... if not, that top bolt is a bitch! Had to go in under the drivers side, get into a position to get my arm between the manifold and the block, and on top of the starter. Get the bolt in place by feel, and get a couple threads started. THEN... every extension I could find to go from the bolt to the front of the crossmember... to get more then one click on the ratchet... Thankfully I only had to do that twice.

13. handy_andy_cv64

I've been there myself. Gotta verify the battery's disconnected if not an older Ford, though....

14. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

Pony, you had a rough time there.
    I put the manifolds on before engine install. getting that passenger side manifold around bell housing was a little work. Installed starter and did the top bolt from above starter it's a little bit of wrenching to get it in and tight. If i put my extensions and swivels together can probably set in front of car and get it done.
    Got used to not seeing bolts and playing Houdini when I was a mechanic , think chrysler 2.2 had 3 bolt starter could have been 2.6. They were fun.
    Been bolting stuff up this morning until it got to hot out there sweated thru everything. Back at it tomorrow . Installed new rocker stands and checked fit have to adjust the valves as this one already had adjustable rockers on it. Plenty to do here but making progress, just trying to make it look good and so I don't have to redo any of it !

15. PonyExpressRider

The only reason I had to do it the second time, was that I didn't have a compact drill in which to drill out the old heat riser tube for the choke. So had to take the passenger side out, to get that done.

The other issue with the passenger side is the proximity to the starter. Shorter life span because of it, and not a lot of room to get it in and out.

16. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

PBR agree it's a tight fit on the starter.

Well here's pics of what got done this past friday and saturday mornings. Lot's of cleaning parts as putting back together, painting brackets. On to accessories now.

Attached Files:

PonyExpressRider and beerbelly like this.
  17. beerbelly

Dyno, I think you mean 'PER", but I think I have a pretty good idea about your favorite adult beverage...

18. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

BB You'd have that correction right !!

beerbelly likes this.
  19. handy_andy_cv64

Those are sweet heads. Medium or high-rise? I'm guessing high-rise, as you had said it was a racing engine at one time.

20. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

Andy : They are a medium riser style. Based off the Edelbrocks with a thinner deck (1/2") but also just a little over half price of the Edelbrock's when I bought them. Figured they were in about same range as getting factory heads redone so why not.
    Goal with this one is street and want to keep mods easy reversible just in case the bug bites (or i go senile) to go all Factory with everything. So no radical cutting of body parts or mods in that vein. That being said here's a pic of end cover for wiper motor, was cleaning it to get ready for paint.

Attached Files: