What is this loop for and how is it supposed to be mounted?

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Boiler92, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Boiler92

Boiler92 In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Entering the final stages of my 69 Screenshot_20200705-082807_Gallery.jpg floor pan replacement and an trying to figure out what this loop at the bottom of the pic is for and how it's supposed to be oriented. The old pan was so bad I'm not sure if it's supposed to be almost laying flat or if I even need it.

Thanks.

2. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Looks like the center occupant lap belt to me... the center occupant lap belts were installed even if the car had buckets - makes one wonder why?

3. Boiler92

Thanks for the reply.

I welded the loop on to the new pan tunnel hump like at the top of the pic.

Not sure about the bottom one. I should probably reinstall it too even it it won't be used.

Anyone know how it's supposed to be oriented?

4. 72GTVA

Okay - I misread your post - if you are talking about the steel loop it is part of the jack restraint. The jack post is inserted through the loop, the jacking mechanism is about centered so the spare tire rests on the jack mechanism and post to keep it from rattling, the jack base is used with the partial eyebolt and thumbscrew to restrain the spare and jack assembly in the car. Here is a picture of the jack use and storage sticker (this is for a 1972, your model year will be similar):

Ranchero Jack sticker.jpg

Dyno, Boiler92 and The Wrench like this.
  5. 72GTVA

If your going to install the factory type of jack you'll likely need the bottom loop also...

Boiler92 likes this.
  6. Boiler92

Aha! That diagram explains all. I do indeed have a jack that came with the truck and it appears as though it should be mounted vertically, not rusted out smashed flat on the floor.

Thanks!