Trans upgrade

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by L.Gomes, Nov 5, 2019.

1. L.Gomes

L.Gomes In First Gear

2. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Maximum Overdrive

Somewhat...you'll need to remove the trans tunnel brace otherwise your engine inclination will be too great as well as the driveshaft angle...an AOD is too wide where the brace exists...

3. L.Gomes

L.Gomes In First Gear

Thanks. I’m going for it.

RancheroRandy likes this.
  4. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

Post pics of your progress. I've also thought about swapping an AOD into my '64. I'd love to see it done by someone in the group, and it's pretty low on my priority list right now.

Joseph

On edit, I've read that you have to reshape the tranny tunnel, because it's too narrow for an AOD. Reshape with a hammer, though, and not a welding rig.

5. L.Gomes

L.Gomes In First Gear

I'm having my mechanic doing the work for me. I ordered:
    B&M AOD trans and torque converter, starter, flexplate, dipstick and tube, AOD crossmember.
    Also installing electric fan and shroud. I upgraded the front brakes to disc, i'm adding a hydroboost system. All parts have arrived except the hydroboost kit. I hope to have it done in a week.

colnago and RancheroRandy like this.
  6. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

Wow1 That's an impressive amount of work to be done in a week! For me, that would probably take me all season (no lift, so the engine would have to come out for the tranny swap, etc). But, I'm my own mechanic, and I have a full-time job in the real world, so anything car-related happens slowly.

Joseph

7. LDG

LDG In First Gear

I took alot longer than expected. Finished in May, Just in time for Covid shutdown. Hydroboost brakes, AOD trans. Many hickups along the way, including new custom stainless exhaust.

Attached Files:

LSChero likes this.
  8. LDG

LDG In First Gear

Here's what I can remember:
    New B&M AOD trans and torque converter, starter, Holley carb, flywheel, Hydroboost brake system, disk front brakes, new rear breakes, all shocks, wheel bearings, exhaust manifolds, custom stainless exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, new tie rods, all new gaskets. 289 engine is from '64 Fairlane, rebuilt in 2016. Its perfect. Drives and stops great. Way more money invested than its worth, but its personal to me.

LSChero, pmrphil and RancheroRandy like this.
  9. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

"Way more money invested than its worth, but its personal to me."

Sure, but that's what owning a Ranchero is all about! Besides, what am I gonna do with the money - leave it to the kids! Ha!

pmrphil likes this.