Electrical fire?

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Mycuzinvinny, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Mycuzinvinny

Mycuzinvinny In First Gear SILVER MEMBER

I'm finally getting a chance to go thru my 76 Ranchero 500. It did not come from The House of Windsor as I was told, it has a 351 M. The interior needs a lot of attention. First up, courtesy lamp fuse is blown but (get this) jumped out with strands of 18 awg (?) wire. Maybe 4 or 5 strands. I get 12vdc to the fuseblock and after pulling the fuse and jumper the other side f the fuse block does not short to ground. I did notice the back side of the steering wheel has what looks like burn marks on both sides near the horn switch. The horn, directionals, and 4 ways work but the right blinker does not cancel. I am familiar with the odor from electrical fire and the burned area does not wreak. Last thing to note, the headlight switch has been worked on. It is pushed thru the dash but you can still operate the switch. So, I used a 100 words to ask, does this look like electrical burn?

Attached Files:

2. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Could be sun/time induced foam and plastic rot or a horn switch failure. Pull it apart and see what you have.

3. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Last pic does not look like it burned, but the upper part looks like black RTV? Is it?

4. Mycuzinvinny

Mycuzinvinny In First Gear SILVER MEMBER

It could be, I can't tell for certain. All I know for sure is that it doesn't smell like electrical burn. I'm going to have to pull the steering wheel but it's going to have to wait. I was just wondering if anyone else come across something similar.