72 Ranchero 351 4V Q code. Time to rebuild/replace

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by john777, Aug 18, 2016.

1. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

I have a lincoln frame X brace and hydroboost for ya if you ever make it out this way John.(Vegas)May even have set Merc wagon front springs.

2. john777

john777 In Overdrive

I ordered a rear sway bar and the Viking front coil overs and rear double adjustable shocks. Thanks for the offer. I used to live in Vegas, right off the strip. Harmon and Koval.
    What does a hydroboost do?

3. LSChero

For some reason I was thinking you were in socal,then I watched the vidios..Iam in Pahrump,right across the highway from Spring Valley
    raceway.Born and raised in Fairfield,moved here when retired.I have spent a lot of time at sears point,Fremont. Good times.
    You might look into hydraulic assist brakes(hydroboost) and addition of a frame brace if your doing alot of track time.Reduces frame twist.
    Stock on heavy old MK lincolns,mercs.Bolt on upgrade,my 72 has bolt up provisions from factory.Love the hydroboost on my 72!Really needs bigger rotors,but fine for how I drive.Enjoyed vidio,your ranchero really hauls butt!Looks like a real blast.
    [​IMG]

4. john777

john777 In Overdrive

I did this yesterday. 14 feet of hose. It was too crammed on the driver side, so I placed it on the passenger side. I ran the hoses along the front of the valence. I drilled and bolted the cooler to the valence, can't see from the front because the license plate is in the way. Now time to R&R the pump...

I can't upload the pic, the file is too big. Not sure what the issue is on this forum, but we ought to expand the range for posting files.

5. john777

john777 In Overdrive

Installed the EBC yellow stuff pads up front today and the rear sway bar.

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  6. john777

john777 In Overdrive

7. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Dayum, how deep are your pockets?

8. john777

john777 In Overdrive

Gotta show these Shelby guys up.... cheaper than buying a Shelby...
    :D

pmrphil and Lincolnut like this.
  9. handy_andy_cv64

Undoubtedly! I just wish I had your "FU" money, ya know?

10. john777

john777 In Overdrive

The FU money has been spent. All installed. Doing brake in on rear this weekend, will drag car at Wed Nite Drags in sonoma on sept 9th. Thunderhill 3/4 October

LSChero and HuevosRanchero like this.
  11. handy_andy_cv64

Pics and vids will be greatly appreciated. And RIP to your FU money fund.

12. LSChero

Kool! Have fun.Yes pics/vidio,maybe a review of Viking coil overs please.

13. john777

john777 In Overdrive

Great time up at Thunder Hill!!!! All the new $tuff did its job. Car ran really well. It was pretty warm, 95 on saturday and 93 today.

Lost my alternator belt somewhere yesterday (or before) and then today had an issue with the starter. After each session, I put my charger on the car.

Shutting down at the gas pump (i thought i'd put a few gallon of 96 octane in) I couldn't get it started. The thunderhill tow truck driver had a 500+ ci 66 Galaxy and he said he had the same issue, his starter was getting fried by the headers. Another Shelby guy said the same thing.

Tow driver recommended this starter (kinda pricey) : https://www.summitracing.com/parts/til-54-40014
    The shelby guy said to fabricate a barrier between the starter and the headers.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. I'll post on Torino Cobra forum too.

Going to get some video uploaded to youtube soon.

14. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Man, you don't need that starter. A fresh stock one, a fresh (good) battery, and the proper sized (read: thick) cables will work just fine. A heat shield won't hurt anything.

The Wrench likes this.
  15. john777

john777 In Overdrive

16. john777

john777 In Overdrive

17. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

The thermal blanket is your best purchase. I have seen guys rig a 12V piepan computer fan to help cool the starter after runs, manual controlled. Had to do that on a 426 Max Wedge Mopar because of the header routing. It works if it blows thru the starter heat shielding and is worth the extra weight.

18. handy_andy_cv64

Hah, Ford had, for a while, auxiliary blowers for the truck 300 inline sixes to cool down the injectors, IIRC. I think it could be adapted to cool down your starter after each run.

19. john777

john777 In Overdrive

Needed a little help with getting the starter in, all done. Forgot to mention I threw the alternator belt. Come to find the bracket was ripped from the mounts. Had to get the lower bolt that attaches to the block extracted and drill and re-tap the bolt hole going into the waterpump....