HELP, 79 Ranchero door drip rail molding

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Ranchero 1979, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Ranchero 1979

Ranchero 1979 In Second Gear

I bought new rubber from Dennis Carpenter. It just snaps in with screws on each end. Got it in but it is worse then what I took out. Tried heat gun to get it to fit better but no luck. I did get it to seal but now I can not roll up the window with the door shut, the last 1/2 inch I have to open door and roll it up. Has you had this problem and know how to fix my problem. Howard

2. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

I hate to tell you this after spending your hard earned money, but I have yet to find ANY aftermarket weatherstripping for our rides that has the correct durometer(hardness/softness of the rubber) and fit as compared to the factory stuff. Try to find NOS parts if at all possible, I have $300 worth (or rather worthless) of Dearborn Classic/Dennis Carpenter door/roof rail weather strip hanging in my warehouse due to not being able to use power windows correctly and/or having to slam the MF'n doors just to get them to close. I spent for NOS and have been extremely happy and it is, in reality, the only way I found for the fit to be correct. Sorry to be the barer of bad news.

The Wrench likes this.
  3. Ranchero 1979

Thanks a lot, I was afraid of that.

4. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

5. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

6. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

You might try to get DC to help. I say this in part as a warning as they would not help me with a set of hub caps that would not fit.

7. Ranchero 1979

I appreciate the info from everyone, Thanks

8. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

IIRC the original style weatherstrip material was made of what is now considered a hazardous substance or used a hazardous substance so the replacement formulations are different? That said I guess I got
    lucky in that my D Carpenter pieces fit pretty well.....even a dead watch is right twice a day....:D