I need a crash course in 64 Rancheros.

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by russosborne, Oct 27, 2020.

1. russosborne

russosborne In Fourth Gear

Thinking about going to look at one this weekend.
    170 6cylinder with a 4 speed manual. Did they come with a 4 speed option and a 6cyl?
    I'm thinking generator not alternator. Single brake master.
    Car has underdash AC, supposedly works, not sure if original or later.
    What (other than rust) should I be looking at?I'm assuming it's pretty much stock based on the pictures and lack of anything mentioned in the ad.
    Car needs paint is all I can tell from the CL pictures.
    I need a simple daily driver to replace my just deceased 98 Ranger and have to make sure I am not getting a project instead. It's either this or a Toyota Sienna which is my wife's wish. Pre 67 is no emissions testing which is why I am leaning towards the 64. There are newer Rancheros in the same price range but I want to avoid emissions testing.
    Thanks,
    Russ

2. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Wow, not much to choose from, huh? Is your wife mad at you? :(

The Wrench likes this.
  3. russosborne

I have a bad track record with Rancheros so yes, she is a tad unhappy with me at the moment.
    Thanks,
    Russ

4. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I believe the 6 cylinder Rancheros only came with a 3 speed manual or Ford-O-Matic, both column shifted. The most common 4-speeds were the Borg Warner T10 or Ford Toploader, both offered behind V8s.
    However, there is one oddball 4-speed trans, the British-built Dagenham. It was a light-duty trans that was available in early 60's 6 cylinder Mustangs, but I don't know if it was an option in Rancheros. It's a possibility that an early Mustang drivetrain was swapped into that car.

If the data plate is still attached to the driver's door, here's a decoder that will tell you what the car was built with at the factory:
    https://www.falconparts.com/vin-decoder.asp

5. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Treat the Dagenham trans like if it was made of glass. A Cousin bought a new 1962 Galaxie that had the Dagenham behind a 406 tri-power. After the fifth transmission Ford installed an automatic in his car. Later when the top loaders were released they put one in and it never gave any problems.

6. R.C.Heli Pilot

R.C.Heli Pilot In Second Gear

If you put collector car insurance on your car you dont have to get the emissions tested in Arizona

7. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

And, as with any of the Falcon-based cars, shake down that front end for any slop in the balljoints, the strut rods or the bushings. As for the engine, look for black smoke, idle quality, ability to rev, etc. Pull the cap off, look at the points for burning, pitting, general age, and if the breaker plate is really loose. It should only move a bit back and forth, and not lift up much, if at all. Look closely at the wiring, especially the battery cables, generator and starter cabling. Listen for any whining from the generator (bearings). Drive it, of course. I'll keep my fingers crossed it's a honey of a rig, not a honey bucket.

8. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

9. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Crash course- I get it! My Dad used to take me to the Minnesota State Fair to watch the daredevils and the car races; Fireball used to race a Pontiac there.

10. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Glen Roberts was a wild man. His gas man, Cecil Smith was a great friend of mine who I went to a lot of dirt tracks with. Pretty sure Dad bailed them out after a few adventures got out of hand. Cecil passed on last year, sure miss him.

11. DJ Clinton

DJ Clinton In Fourth Gear GOLD MEMBER

The 4 speed Dagenham was available in '64. What has been written before is true-not a good trans. Should have a generator(easy swap) and will have 4 wheel drum brakes(again easy front swap to disc, along with switch to dual master ). Watch for 4 bolt wheels. In '64, both 4 bolt wheels and 5 bolt wheels were used. 5 bolt common for the V8 models. More work if you want to switch 4 to 5 bolt. Also came with 13 or 14" wheels.

12. russosborne

Thanks, all.
    I think I am going to go look at it. Biggest concern is the trans, but I am not going to be hotrodding the car or speed shifting.
    It doesn't matter what I buy, I will end up with second thoughts. Wish we didn't need something yesterday, but we really do so there isn't time to wait and see what shows up for sale.
    Russ

13. Boiler92

Boiler92 In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

If I just needed a low buck but reliable daily driver ASAP to get me from A to B I'd be looking for an early 2000's Honda Civic with manual trans.

14. russosborne

Well, it was a pos. One of those where the owner is used to all the faults and doesn't even notice them anymore.
    Lots of faults, car was no where near a daily driver. No where near a $6700 car either.
    So we end up with a 2010 Dodge Caravan. I'll be driving the 2016 Subaru Crosstrek.
    sigh. so much for that dream.
    Thanks again all.
    Russ

15. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Now that's scary. I drive a 2008 Caravan, and the wife has a 2015 Crosstrek. But then there's toys, too.

16. handy_andy_cv64

17. handy_andy_cv64

The latest one posted is a '67, white with red roof, for $3K.

18. russosborne

Thanks, but can't afford another car at the moment.
    Maybe someday in the far future.
    Russ