Sema build this year

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Ran Man, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

That big rubber ring has a few small drain holes in it to let rain out. Shaker rubber surround has a drain tube that is intended to let water exit in front of the driver's side head. Either way benefits from having a distributor cover added from any early 90's 5.0. Probably not a bad idea on any V8 driven in the rain. Take note Sean, if you removed the block off plate in your hood getting caught in a heavy rain could turn into a pain in the rear without that distributor booty.

2. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Okay ... is it safe to say that these parts didn't come from Ford? Not the ad parts, which are clearly repros of something, but did they ever come from Ford manufacture?

A better suggestion could be a mod of the stock air cleaner; move the battery to some other location, and add plumbing to an opening in the fender wall behind the original batt location. Generally openings in that (hood) location are not preferred for best air flow.

A question for shaker hoods -- does that extra opening bypass the regular air cleaner?

3. burninbush

OK ... but don't park it in the rain. Especially if you don't have an air cleaner installed.

4. Hillbilly

They definitely came from Ford BB. You might possibly luck up on an original steel one on E-Pay but have your house mortgaged. the ones in the adds are primarily fiberglass repops. Either style ram air has a conventional round filter element, the difference is in the lid that is cut down to the outer diameter of the filter element. All incoming air to the carb has to go thru the filter, either entering thru the snorkel or thru the vacume operated trap door in the plate above the filter lid. To further add confusion, there exists another filter casing version occasionally found on medium riser intakes in cars having a flat hood. The lid over the filter element is full size, like what you are familiar with. The lower casing that the element sits in will have one or two vacume operated trap doors that open when the vacume signal is low, like during wide open throttle conditions. Never cared for those as they opened to hot under hood air. Ford knew about that high pressure zone at the rear of the hood at the base of the windshield. Poor man's ram air essentially but only used on cars intended for racing , BUT, Ford did use that zone on some Fords and Mercurys to help increase air flow thru the heater and a/c systems. Recall that some 70 / 71 Torinos had a grill located near the trailing edge of the hood. Climate control on those dang near didn't need the electric fan unless stopped in traffic. Have you looked at Fords from around the mid 70's ? Most came with ductwork intended to capture cooler more dense air either thru the radiator support or from that dead zone behind the headlights.

5. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Yes, they came from Ford - Goldfish (my avatar photo) with the 429 has it's factory Ram Air assembly. Some photos of mine, after refurb, before I rebuilt the rusted out portions of the sheet metal, and the captures from the parts books on the 351CJ and 429 Ram Air Parts book illustrations.

1972 Ford Ram Air Assembly.jpg 1972 Ram Air Original with Rust Damage.jpg 1972 with Ford Ram Air Assembly A.jpg 1972 351 Ram Air Parts Diagram.jpg 1972 429 Ram Air Parts Diagram.jpg

handy_andy_cv64 and beerbelly like this.
  6. burninbush

OK, I'll give up on this question. Thanks for the drawings. Was this page also in the '70-'71 manuals?

7. Hillbilly

Sure was in those factory manuals, at least in mine. Thought I was screwing with ya, eh BB ? I don't do that to fellow Ford enthusiasts. There is enough confusion out there already without adding to the problem.

8. burninbush

Didn't really think you would. I did drag out my 71 Manual set, and found a section I've never looked at before. Anybody who wants to check can find it on Manual 2, pages 24-42-02 (03, 04). How to test it, etc. Didn't find anything about removing the block plates on a GT hood, guess the user will figure that out. The 351C motors I've seen at car shows used the side-valve-opening variety of air cleaner.