Wheel and tire size for 68?

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Burnout, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Burnout

Burnout In Second Gear

Hi, I'm new here. I just bought a 68 Ranchero 500 and I have a million questions. Starting with wheel and tire sizes. I want to run 17" wheels, staggered front to rear, with the largest tire that will fit a stock car (within reason. I'm not talking huge here, I just like the wheel opening to be full of tire, with the widest that will go in and not rub). Can anyone tell me what backspace and/or offset is working for you with 17x7's and 17x8's? Or will an even wider rim fit? Also, what size tire are you running on 17's. It's a drum brake car now but I intend to go disc brakes in the future. I'm considering Granada disc's. It's just a street car so I don't need (or want the expense of) 2 piston calipers.
    I did a search and didn't find much info on wheel and tire sizes for 17's.
    Thanks for any help.

2. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

On the assumption that your 68 is very similar to a 71 -- then a 7" wheel width will clear just barely at the top of the rear wheel well, about 5/8" here. An 8" width would have been near rubbing; this with 235 wide tires.

3. Burnout

Burnout In Second Gear

Wow, not much room under there. How much offset are you running? Or backspace?

4. Leo Vargas

Leo Vargas In Second Gear

Just want to know how this went? I am in the process of doing the 2003 Mustang Mach 1 wheels with 17's also, 17x8 front and 17x9 rear. I'll be running 255/45/17 front and 275/40/17 rear. If the 17x9 are too wide then I have 2 more of the 17x8 that I can use with either 245/45/17 or 255/45/17. We will see.

5. Leo Vargas

Well, 17x9 with 275/40/17 and 1 inch wheel adapter works great in the rear.
    17x8 with 255/45/17 and the same 1 inch adapter the top of the tires rub when turning. Did even make out of the shop.
    One of the previous owners cut the front coils. So it is lower than stock. Measured with 215/75/14 tires was 23 on driver side and 23..75 on passenger side.
    So now to get oem height coils and it should be fine.
    I looked on Rockauto.com they do not list coils springs for the 68. But they do for a 69, is there any difference between the two. Thanks for any help here.

Attached Files:

6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Their fitment is the same, but how much weight they hold is what's different. A/C, power windows and seat(s), engine size and trans, will all change the actual weight all the springs hold up.

7. Leo Vargas

So I would be okay with ordering the springs for 69 302 with ac?

8. handy_andy_cv64

It's a start. If you want stock height, you should confirm with them that they have that spec, so that you don't run into the problem of the springs ending up at the 'old' height.

9. Leo Vargas

Well, it seems like everyone is out of the Moog 8354 coil springs. I was looking at Mevotech, but they only have a heavy duty version. I guess everyone has been ordering front springs.
    What is really funny is that I had the Moog springs in my cart and was looking at ordering the bottom mount and then my cart refreshed and they were gone. Someone bought them right from my cart.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  10. handy_andy_cv64

They really aren't 'in your cart' until you are paying for them, which I think is BS. My friend Steven has had it happen many times over the time he's ordered parts online.

11. Leo Vargas

It has happened to me before also. But what are the odds someone else is buying springs for 69 Ranchero.

12. Dave Reginek

Dave Reginek In Second Gear

13. Leo Vargas

I'll check that out, Thank you

Dave Reginek likes this.
  14. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Check your messages -- I have a pair of front springs for sale.

15. Leo Vargas

Oh, forgot to give offsets for the wheels. The fronts are 17x8 with a -30mm offset. The rears are 17x9 with a -26 offset. I used a 25mm spacer/adapters to get them close to 0 offset. Seem to fit very well with no tire rubbing in the rear. Still haven't installed the fronts. No time to change springs yet.

16. Leo Vargas

Update, Finally replaced the front coil springs, Got to install the front wheels and tires. the fit is perfect and only rubbing issue I have is when I turn the steering wheel all lock that I get a rub on the frame. I just back off a little and fine.

17. Leo Vargas

Here is old Pearl with her 17's.

Attached Files: