Arc welding

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Gregory Cummings, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Gregory Cummings

Gregory Cummings In Third Gear

So I think I need to do some welding. See pic. arc welding. Do you Ranchero fans think I might damage any electrical components putting that many amps on that cross member. Don't worry, I got a giant size steele washer I'm gonna use to cover that whole.
    weld.jpg

2. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Nope, welding won't bother the electrical equipment, just the resulting fire might, though. :eek:
    Good luck.

3. tony o

tony o In Third Gear

When you put the ground clamp on, pay attention to the ground path. Learned that lesson when I welded some brackets on the rear axle housing and I put the ground clamp on the class III hitch receiver. All went well until I tried to move the truck when I was done. Seems that I had melted the plastic liners in the parking brake cables. Lesson learned. Now I always put the ground clamp as close as possible to the weld area.

4. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

Remove your rubber insulators from the shaft and I would use an extra thick washer 1/8 inch or thicker.
    Greg

5. Gregory Cummings

Next picture shows weld with washer I will use.
    weld n washer.jpg Part two.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  6. Gregory Cummings

Part 3 shows weld washer and bushing.
    w w b.jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  7. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Needs a hell of a lot more support than you're showing. That washer WON'T do the trick. How do you plan on "filling" the space and welding the cracks around the broken out area? That area is subject to some pretty good impacts.

The Wrench likes this.
  8. Gregory Cummings

I know. I plan to weld the large washer to the torn metal of the frame and then form and weld other steel metal plates under the bottom of the metal washer and along the frame itself where there are many cracks and splits. steel plate 2.jpg

pmrphil likes this.
  9. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

If that is galvanized (which I think Simpson ties are) be careful of the fumes Toxic

And it is wise to disconnect the battery

10. wdfp

wdfp In First Gear

Get non galvanized if thats what it is unless you can be sure it is removed before welding, not only for the toxic smoke but the shitty weld quality that stuff will give you..

11. Mick13

Mick13 In Second Gear

For me ARC is the harder to use, the best would be TIG or MIG
    I've never had problems with cars or bike electric components and welding (disconect baterie and expensive equipements)

12. Green79

Green79 In First Gear

If it's galvanized, let it sit for a while in some white vinegar. That will strip the galvi off of it.

13. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Gregory do not use a washer or that Simpson strong tie....... get a piece of 3/16 flat stock and cut/grind it to a tight fit into the hole weld around perimeter on the inside then weld the back side after hammering the torn metal flat against the plate you installed' grind the back side as flat as you can where the bushing make contact.