New member - just bought a 1962 white Ranchero on BaT!

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by PaulG, May 5, 2021.

1. PaulG

PaulG In First Gear

Thanks for allowing me to join the forum. I have just bought a 1962 Ranchero on BaT and am in the process of organising importation from the US to Australia, Perth to be specific! I am looking forward to seeing the truck and hope it is a bit of fun. I am looking for a couple of small items; drivers door seal, door trim for both sides, and new rear light lenses as they look faded. Otherwise I am hoping not too much needs doing. I look forward to reading other people's stories.

2. Kiwirancher

Kiwirancher In Fourth Gear

Hi Paul , good on you for taking a leap of faith ! Is it much hassle importing it ? I bought my 66 from Ohio , no problems getting it into NZ. Plenty of trim bits available from Ecklers etc. I have used them for door seals and other bits. Glass for Classics in Oz are also very good. Enjoy your Ute , Denis.

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Perth, W.A., eh? I've been there twice, courtesy of the United States Navy, back in '87 and '89! Love your city, kind of like Vancouver, British Columbia, but cars are on the opposite side!

So, I have a question: years ago, I read that any left-hand drive car imported to Australia had to be converted to right-hand drive. Was this true? And is it still enforced?

Anyway, welcome to the forum, and pics, max 1MB size, are always encouraged. Cheers, mate!

4. PaulG

PaulG In First Gear

Thanks for the recommendation Denis, so far the importation process is going fine. Ask me in a month or so and I expect the answer will be the same. I am using an experienced importer her in Perth and he is guiding me through the process!

Lincolnut likes this.
  5. PaulG

PaulG In First Gear

Hi there, we have different rules in each state but in all states, cars this old do not need to be converted to right hand drive. If you modify cars, there is sometimes a need for engineering certification depending on what you do and depending on which state the car is registered!

6. Mikey likes it

Mikey likes it In First Gear

Im in California, just started work on a pretty torn up white '62, love to see pics of yours

7. PaulG

PaulG In First Gear

some photos of my new machine!

Attached Files:

8. PaulG

PaulG In First Gear

I have uploaded some pictures, let me know if you can see them!

9. PaulG

PaulG In First Gear

I would be interested in seeing some photos of your Ranchero too

10. Mikey likes it

Mikey likes it In First Gear

wow yours is beautiful, mine is a wreck, missing much of the r7.JPG r6.JPG r7.JPG r6.JPG r5.JPG r7.JPG r6.JPG r5.JPG r4.JPG r3.JPG r2.JPG r1.JPG r8.JPG interior, floor pans more holes than metal, etc. I'm jealous

11. PaulG

PaulG In First Gear

It is very straight and I like the red interior. Mine owes me a fair bit, I paid $9600 so I have pretty high expectations

12. PaulG

PaulG In First Gear

144 or 170?

13. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

Welcome to the forum... you will enjoy it here. Plenty of knowledge to go around. I was in Perth in 97, also thanks to the U.S. Navy. Well we docked in Fremantle, but had a great time!

The pictures are viewable... might find it easier to convert them to .jpeg, less then 1MB. Easy upload.

14. PaulG

PaulG In First Gear

thanks for your comment and I am sure you enjoyed Fremantle, great place

15. handy_andy_cv64

It didn't matter if you were in Fremantle or Perth itself; wherever you went, the legendary Australian hospitality was always there. Having been on an aircraft carrier, though, we had to anchor off Fremantle Harbor, ride a local vessel (the 'Captain Cook,' IIRC) or an RAN LCM landing craft. Disembarking that to the lighter tied to Constellation's stern was a bit dicey after a night of schooners of the local brews (my favored one was Black Swan).

16. PonyExpressRider

The Fremantle Micro Brews were the place to go! My most memorable was , Monkey Fist... ordered two, the bar keep put the glass under the tap and started the tap. Walked away and served 4 or 5 people while keeping an eye on the tap. Came back and topped it off, and started the second. I think we nursed those for a couple hours.

My favorite Aussie beer though, Swans Lager. Actually found a Safeway Grocery in San Diego that could get it.

17. handy_andy_cv64

Was it the one in downtown Coronado?

18. PaulG

PaulG In First Gear

I dont know. Do you have photos of that truck?

19. handy_andy_cv64

No, I mean the Safeway, was it the one in downtown Coronado?

20. PonyExpressRider

NOPE!!! It was actually the one in Linda Vista...