floor pan and related sheet metal issues

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Mikey likes it, May 4, 2021.

1. Mikey likes it

Mikey likes it In First Gear

Have ordered some floor panels for my '62, realized the front rockers are mostly gone as well. Is it the right idea to unbolt the front fenders to access the rocker area? Am learning to use a new Harbor Freight flux wire welder, appreciate any learned insights or suggestions, thx.

2. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Maximum Overdrive

I would do one side at a time with the rocker panels, door and fender off. BEFORE you do any cutting make a bunch of measurements so the doors fit when you put them back on especially the rocker and lower door gap. It's one of the main structural members of unitized bodies so get it right the first time. Then when welded in do the other side. Then fit the doors , remove them and do the floors(easier with the doors off). 45 years of doing this stuff and teaching autobody at the local college I've seen a lot of misfitted rocker panels, mostly Chevy trucks.

3. Mikey likes it

Mikey likes it In First Gear

I really appreciate the advice. So the exterior rocker panels are pretty good. I can see the front of the interior panels are rusted away, so the shape is uncertain, suggestion there? By the way, I could use plenty of advice on body repair in general, so if you have the requisite patience.... floor .JPG rocker sideview.JPG rocker underneath.JPG