'66-'67 brakes question, Galaxie to Montclair

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by handy_andy_cv64, Mar 21, 2021.

1. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Okay, Joe is buying a really nice Monterey 4-door up in WA. Story to follow on it later, with pics. It needs brake work, four-wheel drum, and it has a single pot MC, no booster. Will '67 Galaxie dual-pot MC with booster bolt to the firewall with no mods, and I assume we have to change the brake pedal?

2. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Old swaps Andy. Have done two on 63 and 64 XL Galaxies using the booster and brackets and master cylinder from 1970 Torinos. Same fancy chromed trim brake pedal. Swapped the spindles, calipers, and rotors using ones from 1971 and 1972 Mercury Marquis and plumbed in the big Mercury proportioning valves.
    The Galaxies had tall valve cover 427's that the Torino brackets and booster cleared nicely. I used a hardened lug nut washer from uni-lug wheels to make the lower ball joint stud castle nut index correctly. What year Monterey ? My only concern would be hood clearance, it was close on the Galaxies but should be similar on a Mercury.

3. handy_andy_cv64

It's a '66, 390 'Special' auto. I was hoping everything would be a bolt-up. The bummer is that the Pick n Nose here in SA had a '71 Grand Marq. If money had not been a problem, Joe and I would've stripped it for parts for the Barge and the Bear. So, if '71 parts fit, is it safe to say parts through '78 would fit? Or parts from intermediates '72-'79?

4. Hillbilly

Don't know about the intermediates. I was using parts I already had on the farm at that time. 73 and up big car spindles have different geometry built in and the lug pattern is 5 on 5 so I chose to not use them. Big pancake brake booster looked like trouble but I'd bet their hydro-boosters would be easy to use.

5. handy_andy_cv64

We found a big car at the yard with hydroboost, we'd just need a good pump with FE-usable brackets. That would be a lot more useful than a vacuum booster on 4-wheel drum brakes. Danged shame about '73 and up having different suspension geometry and the lug pattern. But, like I said, if we'd had the money, we would've stripped that '71 Marq.

6. handy_andy_cv64

Well, since the classic yard is now a PITA to deal with. They now want you to pay for all parts up front, before you even drag any tools in. This made me really angry a few weeks ago, and that almost got me kicked out of there permanently. So, we went up North of Waco to a yard with a '71 LTD sedan. We stripped the steering knuckles, calipers, master cylinder, booster, prop valve, and the lines for the front brakes. Both rotors were hashed, but the bearings look good, so we ditched the rotors and worn pads. We also got the brake pedal, but only the pedal. We weren't sure if we needed to also pull the bracket.

7. Hillbilly

Never tried one of those boosters, can't tell you if you have enough clearance. Don't remember. Does the Merc have power brakes ? If so why not try fitting a double bowl disc master cylinder to that booster ?

8. handy_andy_cv64

Ha, no booster. It still stops pretty good, as I keep the adjustment pretty close. The LTD had a 400, so I'm sure the 390 will be close, but it'll remain to be seen if there is an issue.

9. handy_andy_cv64

BTW, I hope to God the caliper kits have the rubber bushings the slide pins ride on. They're fricking small.

10. Hillbilly

Those pin bushings are usually separate items. Use some sort of lube on them at the install so you don't tear them. Most parts places can get them in the Wagner brand if they aren't in the kit. A tiny bit of caliper grease inside the pin hole of the bushings is a good idea too. Lube on the pins helps stop the calipers from moving at an angle and wearing the pads at an angle. All of those springy fingers need to be put back too to keep things from rattling. I like the full size 69 thru 72 disc brakes, big enough to be effective.

11. handy_andy_cv64

Fortunately all the springs are in place, and if available, are bolted on so they're replaceable.