Funky Wheel Studs -- Anyone Seen this? (see pics inside)

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by 1970Ranchero, Dec 21, 2021.

1. 1970Ranchero

1970Ranchero In Second Gear

Hey everyone,

I have an issue with the front wheel studs on my 1970 Ranchero - the lug nuts look "off" in that they are not seated squarely on the stud, rather they are canted off to the left or right- see pics below.

I assure you this not an optical illusion and they are indeed canted a bit.

Any one seen this before? And if so, is this an issue? Pretty perplexed and haven't found anything on the internet on this.:eek:

Thanks!

Attached Files:

• r6.jpg
      r6.jpg
      File size:
      686.3 KB
      Views:
    • r10.jpg
      r10.jpg
      File size:
      578.4 KB
      Views:
    • r11.jpg
      r11.jpg
      File size:
      686.3 KB
      Views:
    • r12.jpg
      r12.jpg
      File size:
      256.9 KB
      Views:
    • r13.jpg
      r13.jpg
      File size:
      482.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
  2. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

Most definitely could be an issue.

Have you removed one to look at the threads? Could be that someone put the lugs on with an air tool and stripped the threads.

Just need to replace the lugs and put new nuts on.

3. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Wouldn't trust those as far as I could throw a Ranchero, meaning not at all. Looks like replacement metric thread nuts similar to what fit a 96 Buick. I mistakenly picked up a set of those off the garage floor while a Buick and a Crown Vic were sitting beside each other only to find the same screwey fit on the Ford studs. While those nuts screwed on easily, they were a loose fit on the threads and I noticed they weren't right before I torqued them down. Hope someone hasn't cranked them down tight and damaged the lug stud's threads for you.

Kiwirancher likes this.
  4. Jimbob

Jimbob SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER GOLD MEMBER

Is the nut actually loose on the Threads? i.e. excessive play? Looks to me like someone cut down longer studs to make them shorter and the offset you maybe seeing is how the thread is cut in relation to the cut face (chop half an inch off the end of a bolt and you will see what i mean, it will look lopsided when viewed end on)

5. 1970Ranchero

Thanks Pony, I haven't looked at the threads recently, but did not seem abnormal last I looked.

Good to know. I will have to look into what kind of lug nuts these are. The weird part is that the same lug nuts thread just fine on the rear drums of the car. I wonder if it is just the wheel lug on the front disc that are bad?

Nope, the nuts are tight are on the lugs and pretty well torqued down. Even took the car around the block like this :eek:

Well, it looks like I am looking to get new studs pressed in.

6. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

I don't see the problem you describe. Take the wheel off, and use a carpenter's level to check the studs -- you should be able to see from that inspection any studs that aren't level (i.e., perpendicular) to the mounting surface. Anyway, press them out and put in new studs. Those are clearly not standard lug nuts -- are they possibly metric?

7. 1970Ranchero

Thanks, burinbush. I don't blame ya, it's a bit hard to see on the photos. The main issue is that the lug nuts don't seam to thread or seat "square" on the stud. The first pic seems to capture this the best - nut looks to "hug" or "pull" to the left a bit.

The lug nuts do seem off - this might sound stupid, but anyway to check if they are metric? Just put a socket on it correct?

They're unmarked I believe.

8. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Seems I remember them being 18 or 19 MM while the real Ford nuts are 13/16". At first I thought I had picked up a worn out socket but then looked directly at the studs and noticed the cocked over stance of the nuts. Never torqued them down so no damage to the stud threads.

9. Jimbob

Jimbob SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER GOLD MEMBER

Its the threads you need to check really...take them to a hardware store that has one of those stands by the nut and bolt section where you can check threads of random bolts you are trying to match up and see what size (metric or sae) they thread onto easiy.

Lincolnut and Hillbilly like this.
  10. RANCHEROROB

RANCHEROROB In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I think it's just the way the studs are made but it does look like you have ball style lug nuts.
    The old ford wheels need cone style nuts.
    The lip on your lug nuts are usually on ball style nuts

11. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

You can tell from your pics that the nuts you used are much too long. You should be able to see several threads of a standard stud showing above the seated nut. Go to a junkyard and pick up a handful of normal Ford lugnuts. Or go to an AutoZone and buy a set of lockable lugnuts (check the printed specs for application).

12. 1970Ranchero

Gotcha, thanks. I will look into new lug nuts.

13. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Plus 1 on the wrong nuts. Those look like late model style nuts and metric would not surprise me. Change 'em.

The Wrench likes this.
  14. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The studs should be 1/2"-20 thread.

The Wrench likes this.
  15. 1970Ranchero

Another wrinkle to this story...I checked the lug nuts and they are indeed for a 1/2-20 thread stud. Looks like its time take the rotor off and check the studs - seems like they might be a little off thread size wise.

16. handy_andy_cv64

That reminds me of the fact Jeep used whatever they could get their hands on in terms of fasteners, and as cheaply as possible. That means big wagoneers have six 7/16" studs vs five 1/2" studs. *shakes head mournfully*

17. 1970Ranchero

So I think I narrowed it down. It's not looking like its the nuts -- they thread down very nicely and the stud threads don't appear to have any damage.

I think it's the studs, being that they are pressed in incorrectly and are slightly crooked. Check out the pics and you can see that the nuts don't seat flush to the rotor. One side of the nut snugs flush, while the other side has a gap. Also, there is uneven wear on where the lug seats on the rim.

Any thoughts here are appreciated.

Attached Files:

• r20.jpg
      r20.jpg
      File size:
      157.5 KB
      Views:
    • r21.jpg
      r21.jpg
      File size:
      759.8 KB
      Views:
    • r23.jpg
      r23.jpg
      File size:
      591.6 KB
      Views:
    • r25.jpg
      r25.jpg
      File size:
      913 KB
      Views:
    • r44.jpg
      r44.jpg
      File size:
      880.3 KB
      Views:
    • r45.jpg
      r45.jpg
      File size:
      579.2 KB
      Views:
  18. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

That rotor/hub looks fairly new - possibly cheap chinese junk? And those nuts are some aftermarket pieces, not "normal" for those wheels. You might be opening up a can of worms - I'm wondering if even the holes are drilled straight in the hub? :eek:

19. handy_andy_cv64

Need to look at the rear face of the hub, see if the stud heads are pulled flush. You can put a nut on each stud, give them some torque, say 50 lb/ft, then tag each head with a ball peen hammer, see if they seat further.

20. 6delta

6delta In Fourth Gear

It does look off. You should take a carpenter's square and check to see if the stud are "tilted". I do not see how they could be off if they are pressed in completely unless the hubs are drilled off or the stud is bent. Could it be the studs have been damaged by the improper installation of rims that did not fit correctly? Although in that case if one is "bent" I would expect them all to be off in the same direction. Perhaps if you remove one carefully you see if the hub is screwed up and drilled at an angle. I can't see through the top of my acorn nuts with the Magnum 500 wheels so mine could be offset as yours are and I wouldn't even know. I usually just tighten one down until it hits then do the same to the opposite stud going in a criss-cross pattern until they are all tight. I honestly cannot say I look as closely at mine as you have.

I would tend to think the nuts are bad/cheaply made and try other new ones. Maybe take a regular nut and see if it goes down and sits square with the hub. Although I have no idea of the machine work to produce the hub on a "production line" I would hope it would catch a problem during the process of drilling 5 holes then tapping the threads and pressing in the studs. Now I am going to have to check my wheels with open lug nuts.